Chocolate Rice Pudding

February 1, 2013

chocolate rice pudding

Recently, I’ve only had one thing on my mind. Comfort. It has been a crappy couple of months on a personal front. So in between some much-needed catch-ups with friends and some (quite expensive) retail therapy, I’ve been happily dunking my face into bowls of this chocolate rice pudding. Amongst many other sugary and salty treats *smile*.

I mean just look at this beauty;

Chocolate. Check.

Caramelised bananas. Check check.

All indulgently rolled into a humble rice pudding? (No doubt, one of the most comforting desserts out there). Checkmate.

Serve it chilled or serve it warm; just don’t forget the bananas. It really adds a certain something something to this dessert ya know? (Then again I might be a little biased because it’s a well known fact that I love my bananas in all my desserts *smile*). Either way this dessert is rich, indulgent and perfect for enjoying in a dark private corner, away from the troubles of the world.

chocolate rice pudding

3. pinch of salt
  4. 935g of milk
  5. 30g / 2 Tbl unsalted butter, softened
  6. 200g dark chocolate, melted
  7. 60g raisins
Instructions
  1. In a heavy-based saucepan, add the rice, sugar, salt and milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Just remember that milk boils over extremely fast once it’s heated so don’t walk away!
  2. Lower the heat and cook for about 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked and al dente. Remove from heat and stir through the butter. Add a little of the hot milk into the chocolate to loosen then add this to the rice pudding, stirring gently to incorporate. Fold through the raisins then serve into 8 small glasses or ramekins. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to stop a skin from forming then cool completely before refrigerating.
  3. To serve, bring out the rice puddings from the fridge and sit for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with fresh berries, caramelised bananas or crushed praline or nuts.
Notes
  1. Recipe from Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé
Citrus and Candy http://www.citrusandcandy.com/
chocolate rice pudding

zerrin February 24, 2013 at 09:24

This rice pudding itself would be a real therapy! Love that it’s garnished with caramelised bananas!

Martine @ Chompchomp February 17, 2013 at 19:37

I am such a big fan of rice puddings. Its one of the things Mum used to make when I was a child and it too conjured up “comfort” for me. I have never thought to go the extra indulgence and make it chocolate however! Great idea!

Eddie February 8, 2013 at 10:20

I want it in my belly…NOW! As soon as I’m off my ‘detox’ at the end of the month, I’m trying this :D

Christina @ The Hungry Australian February 5, 2013 at 01:54

Gorgeous post, Karen. Chocolate and banana is always going to make you feel good. And the rest of us, too. Take care :)

The Food Sage February 4, 2013 at 13:02

Rice pud …. have loved since i was a kid. Never ever considered a chocolate version of the stuff, though, can’t for the life of me think why. Perfect bed fellows! Can’t wait to put it to the test. Thanks for sharing.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul February 3, 2013 at 09:43

You had me at “rice pudding”…I just adore it! But wow! Chocolate! And caramelised bananas. Hope you feel better Karen!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen February 3, 2013 at 05:04

This is the best twist on rice pudding I´ve seen in ages. Simply amazing! And with caramelized bananas, I´m going over to your house and bringing my own spoon!

tania@mykitchenstories.com.au February 2, 2013 at 15:25

This dessert most certainly looks comforting and rice and choclate how freeking wonderful. I hope things start looking up for you.

Emma February 2, 2013 at 14:02

How many Mls is 935g of milk? The recipe calls for 935g of milk and I’m a little confused so how many cups or Mls would that be?

Citrus and Candy February 2, 2013 at 15:37

Hi Emma, for most liquids there is a 1:1 weight to volume measurement. So for 935g milk, it’s approximately 930ml (just under 4 cups). Cheers.

Kim February 1, 2013 at 23:51

This actually looks very veru good!!!!

ROBYN LITTLE February 1, 2013 at 20:14

Sorry to hear things have been a bit tough for you lately Karen. I hope things get better quickly for you. Such a delicious dessert would help chase the blues away, that’s for sure.

All the best to you.
Robyn.

Vintage Macaroon February 1, 2013 at 19:01

Rice pudding is my total childhood comfort food. Mum used to make it for me when she visited while I was at uni. I’m normally a purist where this is concerned but I guess combining it with chocolate is the perfect comfort. Maybe I’ll give it a try . Hope it made you feel a bit warmer inside :)

thelittleloaf February 1, 2013 at 18:45

Oh wow wow wow, I’m in sticky chocolaty pudding heaven! This I need to make.

thecitygourmand February 1, 2013 at 18:27

Ridiculously good looking.

Tina @ bitemeshowme February 1, 2013 at 14:17

I want to dig right in. What a perfect dessert when you need a companion. Hope everything is on the verge of getting better! xx

Ramen Raff February 1, 2013 at 13:37

This looks phenomenal! Love your work K!

Tracey@Tangled Noodle February 1, 2013 at 13:24

It’s eerie, really, how you seem to have telepathically peeked into my kitchen and saw all of the necessary ingredients to make this dish just laying about. Spooky. ;-)

Seriously, I love rice pudding like no one’s business and chocolate just takes it to *obsession* level. [prints recipe…]

Angela @ the fairy bread chronicles February 1, 2013 at 11:47

holy. freakin. wow.
i am such a rice pudding fan! it is hands down like a giant hug in food form. THANK YOU.

Sarah February 1, 2013 at 11:32

I couldn’t agree more! Rice pudding has to be the most comforting dessert – great minds must think alike, because I just made some last week! Hope things start looking up now!

chocolatesuze February 1, 2013 at 09:21

nawwww *huggggggggggs*

Christy @ My Invisible Crown February 1, 2013 at 09:16

Wow! This is stunning and sounds absolutely delicious! I love the combination of chocolate and bananas. I just may have to make me a bowl of comfort soon.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 1, 2013 at 07:12

This is so gorgeous. What a fabulous, tasty, recipe!!