Hello 2012!

January 2, 2012

Whoa mama it has been a heck of a month! The highlight was when my car ended my year with a bang and sent me home on a tow truck four days before Christmas (fun times peeps, I highly recommend it). That aside, 2011 was a pretty good year but I can’t wait to get 2012 started. Before I do, how about a quick frolic down memory lane?

So in a nutshell:

• Citrus and Candy turned 3! I still can’t believe I’ve been at it for this long because normally I have the attention span of a peanut. But I’m still lovin’ it and if ya’ll have me, I’m sticking around for a little longer.

• Shooting all the photos on this blog has turned into a little passion of mine and it’s the most fun I have when writing a post. I was thrilled to be recognised for it as a finalist for Best Photography Blog in the Nuffnang Asia Pacific Blog Awards where I was flown to my hometown of Kuala Lumpur for the ceremony. I had about 9 hours sleep in 4 days, nearly went over my luggage limit because I just had to buy over 10kg in biscuits and snacks, learnt how to ‘jump’ and just had the time of my life. Definitely one of the highlights of 2011!

[Photo 2 and 3 taken by Grab Your Fork]

And of course there were many many awesome meals, newly discovered and old favourites, that kept me well fed and happy during the year.

1. Desserts and the most brilliant Pedro Ximenez I ever had at Sepia Restaurant
2. Chocolate Fondant gelato (and my fave Coconut and Lychee) at Gelato Messina
3. Fried Chicken at The Dip
4. Birthday lunch at Universal with the most epic dessert I ever had in my life Gaytime Goes Nuts (front)

1. Pie Stack at The Abercrombie
2. It was all about the dude food: hot dogs, grilled corn and pulled pork nachos at The Dip
3. Feasting at The House of Chocolatesuze
4. 5L beer kegs (and Korean fried chicken) at Arisun

And how could I forget all the stuff that I made throughout the year? Here are some of the many recipes that demands to be repeated again and again.

1. Finally tapped into The Mother’s recipe book and learnt how to make my most favourite Malaysian snack of all time - Bak Kwa (marinated grilled pork ‘jerky’).

2. Easily the most viewed and most popular recipe of the year, One Bowl Chocolate Cake, the quickest and easiest cake you’ll ever make. So easy that you could virtually stir it with your toes (not that I’ve tried it yet).

3. Passionfruit Ice Cream; perfect for summer (whenever it decides to show up in Sydney).

4. I finally learnt how to make Assam Laksa! It has definitely eased the homesickness (I make it at least twice a month heh).

1. Summer Linguine

2. Apple and Zucchini Cake with Honeycomb Butter
3. ‘Pig and Beer’
4. Spaghetti with Cauliflower and Speck

1. Lemon Lime and Bitters Macaron made by Steph and Lisa
2. The most amazing Chocolate and PX Brownie Cake that Steph and Lisa made for my birthday (I love these girls to bits). Here’s to more of our baking projects and frivolity in 2012! xx

I hope you all had a fabulous 2011 and I look forward to sharing more blog shenanigans with you this year! Much love and thank you x infinity for all the comments, emails and of course, for reading.

Love from Me, The Captain and Orfy xx

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) January 13, 2012 at 00:04

OMG your face up on a…how freaking tall is that banner?!
Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) recently posted..An experimental sous-vide dinner

billy @ A Table For Two January 6, 2012 at 12:07

From anus chocolate to now best photography blog finalist, you have come a long way Karen :) All the best in 2012 and bring on more frolicking I say!
billy @ A Table For Two recently posted..A Turducken Christmas

Citrus and Candy January 6, 2012 at 13:47

Lol you love that anus chocolate :P Happy new year to you too Billy! It’s gonna be amazing for you! x

muppy January 5, 2012 at 09:36

that passionfruit icecream looks like a winner, i think our vine is about to get its very first, looking forward to it :)
muppy recently posted..Slow baked Bloody Mary Lamb

Lisa January 4, 2012 at 23:05

Happy New Year lovely! Looking forward to many more adventures and baking days in 2012! xox
Lisa recently posted..Mixed Berry Cobbler with Buttermilk Pastry

Phuoc'n Delicious January 4, 2012 at 14:43

Oh by the way, lovely new blog layout :)
Phuoc’n Delicious recently posted..Vietnamese coffee ice cream

Phuoc'n Delicious January 4, 2012 at 14:41

What a year it has been for you Karen. Love your photography and overall awesomeness. Here’s to more of that in 2012. Bring it on!
Phuoc’n Delicious recently posted..Vietnamese coffee ice cream

Sara (Belly Rumbles) January 4, 2012 at 12:10

Happy New Year gorgeous!

Tina @ bitemeshowme January 4, 2012 at 08:48

What a big year for you 2011 was Karen! Happy 2012 :) Here’s to an even bigger year ahead x
Tina @ bitemeshowme recently posted..Pho Tau Bay, Cabramatta

Nic@diningwithastud January 3, 2012 at 11:25

What a fab year!! Happy New Year :D cant wait for more deliciousness!!
Nic@diningwithastud recently posted..Salted caramels + 2011 faves

Tina@foodboozeshoes January 3, 2012 at 11:07

Yay for 2011 and bigger YAY for 2012!
Tina@foodboozeshoes recently posted..What a year, 2011

Minh January 3, 2012 at 09:29

Always a blast jumping with ya Karen ;)
Minh recently posted..2011, The Year That Was

Anita Nervosa January 2, 2012 at 16:00

What a delicious year! I’m looking forward to following your blog in 2012! :)
Anita Nervosa recently posted..2012 – awesomic it.

leaf (the indolent cook) January 2, 2012 at 11:41

What a year indeed… and your post reminds me that I should learn more from my parents when it comes to creating Malaysian goodies so I can have an even more delicious 2012! Happy New Year. :D
leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..pimm’s raspberry cucumber cocktail slushy