We’re in the last quarter already?! This year is just flying by at such warp speed that it’s knocking my pants off. But at least it’s spring! So even though I’m sneezing like crazy, I’m loving the extra dose of sunshine and warmth. Ok maybe not from this week and last weekend when winter reared its ugly (and freezing) head for one last encore performance. Good news though, it’s nearly October which is always a special time for me (school holidays and birthdays woohoo!). Here’s to a fabulous month!
But enough blabbing and lets talk food! My oven is gathering dust but I just happened to have an overload of failed-but-delicious honeycomb so I couldn’t resist making this. I absolutely love cake loaves like these especially if it contains grated fruit or vegetables (or ‘breads’ if that makes you feel better). And this Apple and Zucchini Bread is a guaranteed sugar pick-me-up.
If you love carrot cake then you’ll definitely love this one just as much. The grated apple and zucchini gives this loaf the most wonderful moist texture while the brown sugar and spices adds a magical kick. As always. Yes this cake is wonderful indeed and it’s perfect for all seasons. However, if you want to add a little something extra special…
How about the most amazing honeycomb butter to serve alongside? Honeycomb is one of my favourite candies ever so this is my ultimate indulgence. Not just with this bread but with toast, pancakes, waffles and brioche (*faint*). Oh how I love the combination of salted butter with the smoky toffee flavour of honeycomb and golden syrup! Especially when it’s ever so slightly melted over a warm toasty slice of apple and zucchini bread. Oh yeah baby.
– – –
And a final bit of news if I may, I’m on SBS as a featured foodie! So head on over if you want to find out a wee bit more about me. Oh and check out the photo of a cute dog while you’re there (er no, I didn’t mean me).
- 195g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 120ml canola or vegetable oil
- 190g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large (or 2 small) zucchini, grated (to make about 1 to 1.5 cups)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and grated (to make about 1/2 cup)
- 50g chopped roasted walnuts (optional)
- 250g salted butter, softened
- 110g honeycomb, crushed (or you could use a chocolate honeycomb candy bar)
- 2 Tbl golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a large loaf tin (mine was about 22 x 13 x 8cm).
- Sift the flour, bicarb, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract for a couple of minutes until well blended.
- With a wooden spoon, stir through the grated zucchini and apple then add the sifted flour mixture and nuts and gently stir until just combined (do not over mix).
- Scrape into the loaf tin and bake for 55-60 minutes or until the bread has risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack then remove bread from tin. Can be served plain at room temperature but for something extra special, warm up a slice of zucchini bread in the oven until toasty then spread with some honeycomb butter.
- Bread can be frozen or kept for a few days if well-wrapped or in an airtight container.
- Add all of the ingredients into a food processor and whizz them up until it comes together. Tip out butter onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll it up into a sausage shape. Twist the ends to secure and refrigerate until hard.
- Bread recipe adapted from Joy of Baking. Honeycomb butter recipe adapted from Bill Granger.