Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Vanilla and Cinnamon Glaze

April 28, 2011

IMG_8208 edited-4

Sweet sweet cake, is there anything more blissful than coming home or waking up to you? For me, happiness is always found in comforting slices of moist crumbs and sweet icing (cue the angel choir and heavenly white light hehe).

My friends, I trust you all had the most fabulous Easter (5 days off!). But it was also a brisk and chilly holiday for Sydneysiders as temperatures plummeted and the skies opened up for a drizzling. Autumn is definitely doing its job of preparing us for winter.

Toasted nuts, sweet potato, brown sugar and the quintessential spices of cinnamon and nutmeg all come together in this cake that just screams autumn. It is ridiculously easy to make and it’s soft and moist beyond belief. I’m fast becoming a fan of oil-based cakes for the texture and the absence of creaming butter and sugar because in my household during the colder months, it’s almost near impossible to get the butter to proper room temperature without resorting to fire and drastic measures. A lashing of a cinnamon-kissed, vanilla-speckled icing glaze adds the final sweet touch to this earthy beauty.

IMG_8280 edited-2

For now, my hometown is tinted in shades of browns and oranges and I’m now happily dressing up in scarves, black woolly tights and boots. Food wise, my larder is burgeoning with the likes of potatoes and pumpkins and I’m just constantly yearning for spiced cakes of all shapes and sizes. No surprises then that this particular number will definitely be repeated over and over again. Like a pair of black leather boots, this cake just never goes out of style.

IMG_8274 edited

Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Vanilla and Cinnamon Glaze

1 large sweet potato (about 400g)
50g pecan (halves or pieces, plus extra to garnish)
200g cake flour (or 170g plain flour and 30g cornflour)
4 tsps baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 tsp of salt
1.5 tsps of ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
240g light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
180ml of canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Peel the sweet potato and slice in half lengthways. In a microwave or over simmering water, steam the potato until tender (a knife should pierce through the flesh easily). Mash until smooth and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile toast the pecan nuts in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant. Keep an eye on them because they’ll burn easily. Remove from heat and roughly chop them, setting aside a handful of pecan halves/pieces to garnish the cake.

Preheat oven to 175°C and grease a bundt tin (about 2.5 litre capacity).

In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir through the cooled nuts.

In a large mixer bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, canola oil and vanilla for a few minutes until smooth and thickened. Beat in the mashed sweet potato and whisk until smooth.

Add in the flour mixture and beat until completely combined. Scrape batter into bundt tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. The cake should spring back when lightly pressed and the sides would have shrunk away from the tin slightly.

Remove from oven and cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out the cakes onto a lightly greased wire rack. Cool completely.

Place the cake and the rack onto a baking tray lined with foil or baking paper. Slowly pour half the glaze over the cake and let it run over the sides. Leave to set and dry before adding another layer of glaze. Stud the top with the extra pecans to garnish and leave aside to ‘set’ before serving.

(Note, don’t do what I did! I rushed through the glaze and it was too runny. Then my lazy ass decided to just pour and go instead of doing a second layer. As you can see, my cake wasn’t as thickly glazed as I would’ve liked).

Vanilla and Cinnamon Glaze

90-100ml of milk (approximately)
1 small vanilla bean (can be replaced with 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste)
300g icing sugar sifted
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (sifted with the icing sugar)

Halve the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds into the milk, add in the pod and leave to infuse for about 30 minutes until fragrant. If you’re using the paste, skip this step.

Remove the pod and discard. Add about 3/4 of the milk into the sifted sugar and whisk until sugar has dissolved and the glaze is smooth and speckled with vanilla (add the paste now if using).

The glaze should be opaque and thick but still runny enough to pour out slowly. Add more milk to thin it out or more sifted sugar to thicken it. If it’s too runny, the glaze would just get absorbed into the cake and run off too quickly.

Print these recipes!

Cake recipe adapted from Rose Levy Beranbaum. Glaze inspired from Spicy Ice Cream and adapted from Pioneer Woman.

Iris Daniel December 14, 2011 at 11:56

It’s warming up here, but I could still totally go for a slice of this. Loving the look of that glaze. teehee baby got bundt! whoa a sweet potato cake!
Iris Daniel recently posted..Gout Tips

Thanh May 17, 2011 at 18:19

That cake looks amazing. I’d love a slice. Your photos are beautiful too.

Citrus and Candy May 18, 2011 at 00:32

Thanks so much Thanh! :D

Gianna May 15, 2011 at 16:00

Way to set the scene for the coming winter chill, let the baking season begin! I just love sweet potato and this cake just screams “hug me, I’ll keep you warm..”

Yes. In my world, the cakes talk. Bundt cakes often are the most talkative :)
Gianna recently posted..Speedos Cafe- North Bondi

Citrus and Candy May 17, 2011 at 01:01

Gahhhh hate the cold Gianna! But I LOVE winter food. I’m so torn…

sugarpuffi May 2, 2011 at 16:54

whoa a sweet potato cake! that sounds so interesting
sugarpuffi recently posted..Baroque Bistro

La Roquette May 1, 2011 at 17:44

I just came across your blog, gorgeous photography:) and great recipes too :)

Regards
La Roquette

mayssam @ Will Travel for Food April 29, 2011 at 11:40

Wow! This looks scrumptious and even though it’s spring here now, I still feel like making it! It’s definitely being bookmarked, thanks!
mayssam @ Will Travel for Food recently posted..Osteria Venti- regional Italian cuisine in Old Montreal

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living April 29, 2011 at 02:43

Wow… this cake looks fantastic! If you ever visit my blog, you’ll discover that I have quite the obsession with sweet potatoes, and enjoy them year-round in both cooking and baking :).

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:00

I love sweet potatoes too! It’s definitely one of my fave veges and it’s such an autumn staple :D

catty April 29, 2011 at 01:43

WOAH your blog is all different! I like it, so cleaaaaan. I need to clean my blog up big time but I’m so lazy. Bundt cakes YUM (isn’t Suze obsessed with bundts?) and sweet potato YUM!
catty recently posted..ondeh ondeh- my first attempt at Malaysian kueh

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:01

Thanks so much! And yes, Suze loves her bundt hehe :)

Gina @The Addicted Baker April 29, 2011 at 00:31

This looks amazing. I love sweet potatoes so much. So excited to bake with them :) Yum!

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:02

Thank you Gina! Now I need to look for more, I still have more potatoes to use up!

Sara @ Belly Rumbles April 28, 2011 at 23:24

I can smell the cinnamon and nutmeg wafting through the house now as the cake cooks, well at least I am dreaming of it. Would have been fabulous over the dreary weekend we just had.
Sara @ Belly Rumbles recently posted..Tapas Train @ Sushi Choo

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:02

It certainly was especially with the baked spices aroma. Nothing quite like it *sigh*

Martyna (Wholesome Cook) April 28, 2011 at 21:32

Nooo! Not another cake… I’m getting fat! Baking so much and now you’re tempting me with another. A beautiful, moist, dark cake, I can almost smell it from here! Mmm. Adding to bookmarks and saving for another week.
Martyna (Wholesome Cook) recently posted..Mini beef Wellington pies- maple greens

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:03

Hahahahaha resistance is futile. Not when cake is involved ;)

dayle April 28, 2011 at 12:47

this looks very delicious. love the simplicity of the pics which only make the cake stand out to be visually sensational! Icing looks yummy all drizzling down the sides too. dayle

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:03

Aww thanks so much Dayle :)

Mei Sze April 28, 2011 at 10:57

Mmmmmm…gorgeous!!! I love sweet potato in cake form..I once made a cake with raspberry and toasted coconut and was surprised how well the combo turned out. Although friends were less than enthusiastic when they heard there’s sweet potato in it. What lah! :P

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:04

Omg YUM. Adding coconut to it would be awesome. Def trying it out :D

chocolatesuze April 28, 2011 at 10:50

teehee baby got bundt!
chocolatesuze recently posted..Sydney Royal Easter Show 2011 with Simon Thomsen spoof video 13

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:04

bundt bundt bundtity bundt

muppy April 28, 2011 at 10:48

I love sweet potato and i really really want to bake this one, i’ll have to find an excuse!
muppy recently posted..Nigellas Lemony Salmon with Cherry Tomato Couscous and Nigellas Peanut Butter Hummus

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:05

No excuse needed Muppy! Hehe just bake and enjoy :)

Steph April 28, 2011 at 10:21

Gorgeous. Loving the look of that glaze. Your photos are the effortless, lovely simplicity I wish I could achieve!
Steph recently posted..Rainbow Rice Krispies Treats

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:06

This coming from a gal who takes the most cutest, sweetest photos of the most decadent treats? Get outta here! Lol you’re too awesome :)

Kaitlin April 28, 2011 at 10:10

Ooh! How beautiful! It’s warming up here, but I could still totally go for a slice of this. Yum!
Kaitlin recently posted..Say – Mocha Cupcakes

Citrus and Candy April 29, 2011 at 03:07

Hi Kaitlin! Have to admit, I’m still a little jealous of your impending summer. Can’t wait to see what you bake for the warmer months! :D