Passionfruit Ice Cream and the Post Summer Blues

March 2, 2011

IMG_6333 edited

There are two instances in a year that I always feel down and a little blah. They’re my biannual blues and it always occurs on the first day of the year and on the first day of autumn. Simple explanation is that I loathe it when good things must come to an end. And the “good things” that I hate to let go of are the Christmas holidays and the three months of summer.

IMG_6358 edited

IMG_6342 edited

Oh summer! How I miss you even though nothing has really changed in the last day or two *chortle*. It’s the season where I thrive the most on heatwaves and summer storms so when it’s over, the drama queen cortex in my brain kicks into gear and immediately thinks it’s a dire end to awesome weather, tropical fruits, bbqs, partying and swimming at the beach. I’m so frigging over-dramatic. But as usual, I’ll be clutching to the last vestiges of summer in any way I can. Ice cream? Check! Passionfruit? Holla!
IMG_6316 edited

My basic custard (or crème anglaise) recipe is one that I’ve been using for as long as I can remember. It use to be my biggest vice in high school especially when eaten with those ‘instant’ Betty Crocker cakes. Umm trashy. But it’s an essential base to make any flavoured custard, crème patissiere and of course, ice cream. I actually made this as a passionfruit crème anglaise for this dessert but after practically inhaling it all without a breath and almost swallowing the spoon in the process, I had to make more pronto. But this time, I decided to churn it. And it was brilliant. Smooth, soft, creamy but light and it was just the right balance of sweetness and passionfruit tang. It can’t get as simple as this. Now can we just have a few more weeks of summer? Please?

IMG_6415 edited

Passionfruit Ice Cream

300ml pure cream (35% fat content)
200ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g caster sugar
6 large egg yolks
200ml fresh passionfruit pulp, seeds and all (from approx. 8 passionfruits)

Add the cream, milk and half the sugar to a pan over low heat. Heat until bubbles appear on the sides but just make sure you don’t boil it. Remove from heat then stir in the vanilla extract.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the remaining half of the sugar until pale and thickened. Stir through the passionfruit pulp.

While continuously whisking, add the a little of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks to temper. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the cream.

Cook over the lowest heat while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon making sure to scrape the bottom. Cook until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. When you run your finger through it, it should leave a clear line. On a thermometer it should be 77-80°C.

Do not be tempted to turn up the heat and do not boil otherwise it’ll curdle.

Pour into a bowl or container and chill it overnight or for at least 6 hours. Churn in your ice cream machine according to its instructions then freeze before serving.

Print this recipe.

Jodie December 10, 2011 at 15:08

Thanks so much. I think you might be right with the over churning. It was the first time I’ve made ice cream and, yeah, I think I may have churned it for a little too long.

Jodie December 8, 2011 at 22:31

I made this icecream and it was absolutely delicious, my husband has requested a double batch for Christmas. One problem I was hoping you could help me with was that it left an almost fatty residue in your mouth and on the spoon. I’m hoping you can tell me there was something I’ve done in the cooking process that caused this. The only way I can say I differed from your instructions was that I didn’t chill it for 6 hours. Probably only three, but knowing I was cutting the time well short I had it in an ice bath in the fridge hoping to speed up the process.

Citrus and Candy December 9, 2011 at 00:39

Hi Jodie, the only things I can think of are:

*you might have over-churned it which means it was on the way to turning into butter which might explain the fatty residue. This may be because the mixture wasn’t chilled enough. Try to chill the custard overnight and of course make sure your ice cream bowl is properly frozen. The cooler the mixture is, the quicker it’ll churn into ice cream.

* if it still happens, try reducing the recipe by one egg yolk which means less fat content (though it might not churn as rich and creamy).

Give this a go and see if it helps. Let me know how you do. Best of luck! :)

Jessica November 23, 2011 at 23:21

Can I use tinned passionfruit pulp? I love passionfruit & I love summer. I bought an ice-cream maker & I can’t wait to try this out!

Citrus and Candy November 24, 2011 at 00:22

Hi Jessica! Obviously nothing beats fresh passionfruit but if using the tinned stuff is more convenient then by all means! In fact you can replace the passionfruit with just about any fruit pulp just as long as you use 200ml of it. Hope this helps! :)

Michelle September 4, 2011 at 21:48

do you think it’d be okay if i replaced the pure cream with double cream?

Citrus and Candy September 4, 2011 at 22:37

Hi Michelle, yes absolutely you can use double cream instead. In fact, it’ll give the ice cream a richer creamier flavour :)

Michelle September 6, 2011 at 01:11

thanks so much! :D
can’t wait to try this out

Susan March 4, 2011 at 03:33

This is definitely the next ice cream I am going to make after my berry ice cream. You reckon it would work with that tinned passionfruit pulp??

Nicole @caf March 3, 2011 at 20:01

Passionfruit is one of my favorite flavors. Your ice cream looks incredible. If I ever find them in the store, I'm making this!

Rhonda March 3, 2011 at 02:46

i totally hear where your coming from!! hopefully summer will fight for us, just another few weeks would be great! the icecream looks divine!

Nicole March 3, 2011 at 00:44

I agree with you about the biannual blues – I hate those days too. When winter comes I also make sure I head away to the sun for two weeks as it makes those 3 dreary months easier. Great recipe to use up the extra panama passionfruits growing on our vine.

beth March 2, 2011 at 20:23

yum!! saving this to my online cookbook (http://cookmarked.com)” target=”_blank”> http://cookmarked.com)” target=”_blank”>(http://cookmarked.com) in case I one day own an ice cream maker.

Paris Pâtisseries March 2, 2011 at 18:05

I couldn't agree more.

Sprinzette March 2, 2011 at 17:09

I wish I could make ice cream like that. Your pictures are so stunning. Do you mind me asking – do you shoot with a lightbox, or a flashgun? The light is lovely in your shots. Am looking forward to reading more of your blog.

Taz March 2, 2011 at 09:52

Beautiful! I'm going to miss summer too, especially considering just how nice the weather was this time around.

The first picture of your ice cream is stunning, it's making me so hungry.

Jacq March 2, 2011 at 08:33

Ooh passionfruit is one of my favourite ice cream flavours! And I'm totally with you on the end of summer, bring it back already!

TheGourmetCoffeeGuy March 2, 2011 at 06:07

What a fantastic passion fruit recipe! Definitely worth trying. Great photos too.

MelbaToast March 2, 2011 at 03:29

I remember you tweeting that you were loving the heat waves when the rest of us were complaining no end! I like the sunny days, but not the heat – blah! Some of the ice-cream delivered to my home however may make summer just a bit more enjoyable though.

Steph March 2, 2011 at 03:25

So pretty!!! I have issues with passionfruit seeds, but I bet it tastes amazing :) Aww we're total opposites with our seasons, I'm SO glad summer is finally over!

mlle délicieuse March 2, 2011 at 00:28

Hmmm, perhaps I should make this. It would put my Mr Snowy to good use, as well as some a small frozen passionfruit pulp stash.

Yes, I like to freeze remnants of summer to savour when it's cold and gloomy =p

Asha@FSK March 2, 2011 at 00:12

Right!!! I am in pre-Spring blues at the moment… Winter just isn't moving over !! GAH! but now you have put a smile on my face with that lovely bright and sunny ice cream.. Hurray for anticipation!! :))

Mistress of Spices March 1, 2011 at 23:03

This is so gorgeous! I adore passion fruits. I can't wait until we finally get some good ones here (France) so that I can make this ice cream…it looks delectable!

john@heneedsfood March 1, 2011 at 22:57

I've got to say that autumn is my favourite time of the year. Cool mornings, leaves falling off trees, etc. Apparently it's going to be a warm autumn so it could be in your favour!
This icecream looks to die for!

Christine March 1, 2011 at 22:50

can't get over how gorgeous your food photography is ! i still have soo much to learn about it..
thanks for the recipe! i recently got an ice cream maker so i love finding new recipes to make :)

angie March 1, 2011 at 22:38

The end of summer sucks =( But your passionfruit ice cream is so cheery! Especially on a grey day like today =)

Shanks March 1, 2011 at 21:52

Icecream and passionfruit is such awesomeness!! It's a shame we didn't get much of a summer – just an odd heat wave and days of sticky humidity…oh well…here's to more icecream :)

Parsley Sage March 1, 2011 at 21:25

You need to move somewhere that has eternal summer! Like the Cayman Islands. That way you could eat your Passionfruit (and mango and naseberry and banana) ice cream year round :)

Thanks for sharing!

amy March 1, 2011 at 19:19

i want an ice cream machine just for this! serious. passionfruit is my one big <3 in life!

Chele March 1, 2011 at 19:00

I don't like to say goodbye to summer either … but its just around the corner for me so I'm saving this recipe.

citrusandcandy March 1, 2011 at 18:40

And I am so jealous of your impending summer! I'm just not ready to put away the beach clothes and swimsuit yet :(

Poires au Chocolat March 1, 2011 at 18:23

Ooooh yum. I do so love ice cream and passion fruit and custard. I'm so excited about summer coming! It had better hurry up