Kuih Kodok with Sangkaya (Fried Banana Dumplings with Thai Coconut and Pandan Custard)

March 11, 2011

IMG_6783 edited

I was going to start off this post by reminding you of my fetish for a bit of banana and hot oil action. And then launch into the fact that this ‘dumpling’ is not to be confused with a fritter and that it’s more like a dense and chewy steamed Malay glutinous rice dessert. I guess I could quickly mention how ‘kodok’ means toad and then fire some silly comeback or cheesy joke about ‘toad cakes’. But I’ll just put this simply; this is one of my favourite Malay snacks and it’s so damn easy to make that even a monkey can do it (I do recommend adult primate supervision for the hot oil action though!).

IMG_6830 edited 2

Banana dumpling with coconut and pandan custard (it’s actually greener in real life stoopid photos)

But I will demand you to make this gorgeous Thai coconut and pandan custard to go with it. Yes, demand! I first tried this custard at Sydney’s Chat Thai and I immediately swooned. It was a lighter version of my favourite Malaysian kaya and oh lordy, it was amazing! The problem was they don’t serve the dessert all the time and I always have to wait more than a hour for a table at Chat Thai.

IMG_6621 edited

IMG_6637 edited

Ever since I found the recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks, I’ve been as happy as unicorns. You can seriously churn out litres of this magical stuff within 10 minutes at home and avoid the Chat Thai ‘queue rage’. And oh baby, every day, I’ve been shamefully dunking my face in this sexy custard and dipping everything in it – bread, man tou, yu tiao and of course my little alien banana dumplings.

IMG_6758 edited

Alien critters!

Like this little guy! My little tadpole! Aah toad, geddit? ;)

IMG_6735 edited

Now this guy is my favourite. I mean, look at him! He looks like a mini roast chicken complete with teeny tiny drumstick! Umm chicken. It seriously broke my heart when I devoured him.

IMG_6820 edited

*turns head upside down*

He kinda looks like a pig don’t he? Without a head. And minus three legs. Right? Anyone?
IMG_6737 edited

Ack, the ugly ducklings! They might be society’s rejects but they were dee-licious all the same.

IMG_6750 edited

[Umm. ???]

IMG_6739 edited

Actually you know what? Lets just stare at that custard again…

IMG_6828 edited

2 large very ripe bananas, peeled
200g plain flour
4-5 Tbl caster sugar (adjust according to taste)
1 large egg

Throw all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat up a pot or wok of oil until 180°C. Drop in tablespoon-sized quenelles of batter into the oil and fry until it floats to the top and is golden. You might have to turn the kodok to make sure it’s evenly browned. Do not overcrowd the pan other the temperature will drop.

Remove and drain on paper towels. Keep warm while you finish frying the rest.

IMG_6723 edited

Thai Coconut and Pandan Custard

Adapted from David Thompson’s Thai Street Food

4 fresh or frozen pandan leaves, chopped
100ml hot water
1 x 400ml can of coconut cream
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 Tbl cornflour
1.5 Tbl tapioca flour
60ml milk

Place pandan leaves and water in a food processor and blend until fine (it’ll look like fine, wet moss). Strain pandan pulp in a fine mesh strainer or muslin cloth. Squeeze the mossy pulp to extract as much pandan juice as you can. Set juice aside.

IMG_6671 edited
Fresh pandan juice

Whisk the coconut cream, egg yolk, salt and sugar until combined. In another bowl, whisk the cornflour, tapioca flour and milk until mixed and lump-free. Add the cornflour mixture to the coconut cream and stir to combine.

Strain the custard into a heavy-based saucepan and cook over low heat while continuously stirring with a wooden spoon until it’s thick enough to coat the back of the spoon (about 77-80°C on a thermometer). Stir in the pandan juice, remove from heat and leave to cool.

If you’re not serving immediately, cover the surface of it with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Store custard in the fridge.

Print these recipes

Funaek June 19, 2012 at 00:20

I love your food blog – everything you make looks so yummy! I also like that you have so many coconut and banana recipes (mmm). And these little dumplings are deliciously adorable (especially the chicken and tadpole!).

Kida October 2, 2011 at 14:40

This post is so funny! So cheeky, and I’m excited to make this for my Malay man. :)

aptronym March 22, 2011 at 04:28

Umm. Want.

J. Wong March 16, 2011 at 08:05

Haha you are hiliarious. But I remember these! My mum use to make this but she added cinnamon to it and we then we would drown it in condensed milk.

Christine March 14, 2011 at 00:19

Yum! I love the sound of that custard. Whereabouts in Sydney do you get fresh pandan leaves from? I've seen pandan essence in Asian shops before, but not the leaves..

Citrus and Candy May 9, 2011 at 01:28

Hey Christine! So far I’ve found fresh pandan leaves in a couple of Thai grocery stores on Campbell St in the city, next to Chat Thai :)

mlle délicieuse March 13, 2011 at 12:33

Ahahahaha, look at all the little shapes! Especially love the chicken, although I'm sure the husband would be more taken by the fact that the little guys taste like fried banana.

Mei Teng March 13, 2011 at 09:51

Kuih kodok is one of my favourite snacks.

angie March 13, 2011 at 09:46

Oooo coconut pandan custard sounds awesome!! I'd be dunking everything in too if I had some. And your um chicken dumpling… I am seeing other things in my head which means I better pull it out of the gutter! =D

Conor @ HoldtheBeef March 13, 2011 at 03:49

I can totally see the piggy! The poor, deformed piggy.

Awesome recipes, having major cravings now. In my current gluten-free state, I'm wondering if I can use rice flour in the dumplings….

catty March 12, 2011 at 23:58

I need to not be reading your blog while i can't eat everything i want!!! looks so delish and how CUTE is that mini roast chicken lol. much more fun making shapes out of these than clouds. can't eat clouds.

beth March 12, 2011 at 21:31

this might break my "we don't deep fry in this house" rule. :) saving to my online cookbook (http://cookmarked.com)” target=”_blank”> http://cookmarked.com)” target=”_blank”>(http://cookmarked.com)!

@bellyrumbles March 12, 2011 at 11:26

Adult primate action, hehe. It does look like a chicken!

carine March 12, 2011 at 08:30

Mmm..yummm…I love pandan coconut custard. (KAYA! HEARTSSS) The dumpulings may look ugly but they are delicious.

YaYa March 11, 2011 at 09:25

Heaven! I can almost smell the pandan juice from here, I am totally bookmarking this recipe for later! Thank you!

OohLookBel March 11, 2011 at 03:35

I l like the little piglet one, especially since he also looks like a piece of crackling. Mmm, crackling with custard. There's a thought, you're welcome to use it if you like =)

Emily @ NeedsMoreSugar March 11, 2011 at 03:23

@Stephcookie just pointed to this post – hilarious, and boy does that look delicious!!

citrusandcandy March 11, 2011 at 03:18

Lol I don't see it. Actually I was thinking it looked like a certain body part but out of maturity and decorum, I'll keep my lips sealed on that one :)

citrusandcandy March 11, 2011 at 03:17

Noooo what do you have against fried banana? But yeah they're ugly little things aren't they? :P

And I use a 50mm F1.8 lens. A cheapie but goodie :)

citrusandcandy March 11, 2011 at 03:16

Hehehe every one that I was pulling out of the oil, I was giggling and trying to guess what it looked like. My little ugly alien dumplings. Omg the sangkaya, I could just drown in the stuff!

citrusandcandy March 11, 2011 at 03:09

I know, I loved the little chook too! I didn't want to eat him!

And yep the custard tastes like kaya but not as rich and sweet and the texture is like a creme patissiere so it's lighter than kaya and doesn't 'coat the tongue' like a kaya. Perfect for dipping :)

citrusandcandy March 11, 2011 at 03:07

Haha the more I look at it, the more I think suckling pig! But minus the head. It looks a bit macabre without the head huh? :P

Thanks so much! xx

Gastronomy Gal March 11, 2011 at 01:45

oh and the ummm photo kind of looks like a dugong!

Gastronomy Gal March 11, 2011 at 01:44

Firstly, I feel that it actually looks like a rabbit instead of a pig, secondly – what lens are you using? It's awesome. Thirdly, I love the look of absolutely everything you make except this. Well I like the look but I'm not sure I can come at fried banana!!

Steph March 10, 2011 at 22:19

Heehee I love this post! That's one of my fav cookbooks too. All the random shapes made me giggle, it's like cloud watching but yummier!! And omg hello pandan custard, I dream about you all the time…

breadetbutter March 10, 2011 at 19:47

I absolutely LOVE that photo of the "chicken" – so adorable! The more I look at it, the more I think it resembles a mini chicken…

Not had coconut and pandan custard before, is it similar to kaya?

Parsley Sage March 10, 2011 at 18:52

Its totally a pig.

Awesome recipe! Can't wait to try it, thanks for sharing :)