Roasted Beetroot Soup with Crème Fraîche and Dill

September 22, 2010

Roasted Beetroot Soup

I don’t consider myself a huge vege-lover and I’m certainly not a friend of beetroot. But there’s so much to love about this Roasted Beetroot Soup. Firstly, I adore vibrantly coloured foods and this lurid shade is so mesmerising. So vivid! So intense! I sure hope you don’t have a pristine white kitchen folks because this soup and the bright beetroots will show you (and your minimalist decor) no mercy. Not even my white, freshly washed mutt was spared. The state of my kitchen after I battled the beets would’ve made Dexter cream his pants.

IMG_1851-edited

If you’re anything like me, be prepared for a lot of this on your benchtops!

Naturally the beetroot means that this soup isn’t too dissimilar to a Borscht but I don’t want to offend the purists so I’m not going to call it that. Either way, it is rich, flavoursome and full-bodied – just the way I like it. A dollop of creme fraiche is perfect to cut through the intense earthiness and sweetness of the beets and just rounds off each spoonful with a smooth creamy finish.

IMG_1956-edited

The slight hit of cayenne pepper gives this a beautiful kick but a word of warning though, if you’re using extra hot cayenne pepper then exercise caution (it’s not like black pepper, so don’t go nuts with it). I don’t need to tell you this but obviously, this soup just screams for crusty bread to accompany it and some stark white bowls to serve it in.

IMG_1962-edited

Beetroot Soup with Crème Fraîche and Dill

(Serves 4-6)

2 large beetroot bulbs (approx 700g to 1kg)
30g butter
2 rashers of middle bacon (approx 80g), finely chopped
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 white cabbage (approx 220g), finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1.5 L (6 cups) chicken stock (can be replaced by vegetable stock)
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
a small handful of finely chopped dill
sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 200°C and wrap each beetroot bulb with foil and place on a foil lined roasting pan (just in case of leaking juices). Roast for 1.5-2 hrs until tender (time will depend on how big your beetroots are. Test by poking a skewer through it). Set aside to cool down completely, then peel and coarsely chop. Set aside.

Heat up the butter in a large pot. Add bacon, onion and garlic and sauté over low heat for about 10 minutes or until softened.

Add stock, cabbage, carrot and white wine vinegar, increase the heat, bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer over medium-low heat for about 40 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.

Add chopped roasted beetroot and dill and simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until very tender. Purée with a hand blender or standard tabletop blender. Keep warm in the pot, season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper (be careful adding this explosive stuff especially if you’re using ‘extra hot’ like I did!).

Serve soup topped with a dollop of crème fraîche and freshly grated horseradish (very Borscht traditional but purely optional). This would also be brilliant served with crusty bread or crispy rye crackers.

Print this recipe!

Adapted from Gourmet Traveller

Evan January 5, 2012 at 15:16

Wow, I’m finding it impossible that you got that brightness through all those ingredients, kudos!

yue September 26, 2010 at 05:25

this soup looks so good!! i love the bowl too

Kathryn September 24, 2010 at 20:35

I love this time of year- it's the perfect soup weather! I recently made tortellini sausage soup, but your soup looks WAY better!

jeroxie September 23, 2010 at 09:53

Love the super red colours. I like beetroots but just painful to prepare.

joudie's mood food September 22, 2010 at 17:44

My mother inlaw will love this dish. She is from Poland, and my husband has just told me this is a very famous soup flavour over there. I think i will make it for her on her return from her vacation. Nice post and lovely deep colour of the beetroot…. Yumm!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 22, 2010 at 10:01

I don't often wear white, but I have a real knack of wearing it when I happen to be eating something like this. I then inevitably spill it on my clothes, thus vowing never to wear white again. But I do, and then it happens again.

I'd still eat this though, white top or not. Just hand me an extra napkin to stuff down my shirt.

Ellie September 22, 2010 at 04:17

So bright, so vivid!

Helen l grabyourfork September 22, 2010 at 03:54

What a gorgeous colour! I lovelovelove beetroot and a hint of cayenne pepper sounds perfect!

mlle delicieuse September 22, 2010 at 03:06

So vivid! So intense!

And you wonder why people reach your blog with such unusual searches when you use such phrases as “cream his pants”!

@IronChefShellie September 22, 2010 at 02:28

Lol, I would imagine that no surface would be spared. Do not eat whilst wearing white… must remember :P

Looks great!

angie September 21, 2010 at 23:57

Mmm looks so vibrant! I've always come across beet soup recipes but never game enough to try it. Beetroot dip is as far as I've gone!

Rhonda September 21, 2010 at 22:55

The colour on that soup is just amazing!!! It looks so nice and velvety!

jenn September 21, 2010 at 20:00

Yes, beets are an intense ingredient to work with because of that crazy colour. I love beet pancakes, and the first step is shredding the beets in a food processor – which of course makes me immediately check that I haven't lost a finger, because of that deep pink splatter!