Fig, Prosciutto and Thyme Galettes

September 1, 2010

Fig Galette

Smell that Sydneysiders? Go on, step outside and take a few deep breaths. Doesn’t the fresh air smell luscious? That, my dear Aussie peeps, is the smell of spring! Heck yes! Now who wants to go frolic in the sunshine? And to my lovely northern friends, the smell of autumn is equally sublime isn’t it? Bliss!

Personally, I’m ecstatic for the seasonal change because that only means one thing… summer is coming! And Sydney is sure celebrating it in style with a gloriously warm and balmy week. Nothing personal to winter but dammit, I haven’t seen my legs in a long time outside of leggings and stockings and they’re starting to look terrifying and pasty white.

Fig Galette before baking

Tarts and galettes to me, are quinessential spring food. I love the free-form (i.e. lazy) approach to making these. No lining of tins needed = awesome. And the fillings are endless. Any flan, shortcrust or sweet pastry can be used for a galette. Here, I used my usual flan pastry that I simply adore. It can be whipped up in seconds in the food processor, requires little chilling time, is so beautiful to work with and thankfully, doesn’t shrink unlike my laundry delicates. It’s the perfect light biscuitty, melt-in-your-mouth texture that makes it perfect for tarts.

Figs

I’ve been in the mood for figs lately and even though they’re costing me a bundle, it’s worth it. Oddly, I prefer figs in savoury dishes because I have a huge soft spot for sweet and salty and figs are the perfect example of how fruit just works with savoury ingredients. It’s also brilliant with cheese. For this galette, I spreaded a layer of seasoned cream cheese, tossed some figs on top and finished off with prosciutto. I then lightly drizzled it with a good olive oil and baked with my favourite herb, thyme. Achingly simple but oh so good.

Fig Galette

The cream cheese and fig also works brilliantly with a sweet galette. Drizzle the figs with honey or vanilla sugar and away you go. Ricotta is also the perfect alternative and you could also pair the figs up with pears or berries. So many salivating possiblities!

Oh yes, Spring is finally here, and I’m a happy happy girl.

Fig Galette

Flan Pastry

This will make about 2 galettes of approx 18cm wide.

250g plain flour
125g cold butter, diced
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
40ml cold water

Add flour, butter, sugar and salt to a food processor and blitz until coarse crumbs form. Add egg and water and process until it just comes together into a ball of dough. Tip it out over a lightly floured surface and give it a few gentle kneads to bring the dough together. Use immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Pastry can also be stored in the freezer for a later date.

Fig, Prosciutto and Thyme Galettes

Note: This isn’t so much a recipe but more of a guide so feel free to adjust the amounts here or to make the galettes however way you wish.

For this galette:

Approx 1/2 cup of cream cheese – seasoned to taste with salt, black pepper and fresh thyme leaves
Figs – depending on size, cut into eighths or quartered
Prosciutto – shredded
Olive oil
a few sprigs of fresh lemon thyme

Preheat oven to 190°C.

Divide your flan pastry into two portions. Between two sheets of plastic wrap / baking paper or a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a circle of approx 23-24cm wide and about 3-4mm thick. I usually roll it out slightly larger and use a 24cm round cutter to cut out a perfect circle. This makes for a neater galette with flush edges but is absolutely not necessary.

Slide the pastry onto the baking tray and peel off the top layer. Chill for 20 minutes or freeze for 10.

Spread out the cream cheese on the galette leaving a 2.5-3cm border. Top the cream cheese with figs and prosciutto.

Fold the edges over the topping, crimping or pleating as you go. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and top with sprigs of fresh lemon thyme. Brush the top of the pastry with an eggwash (an egg with a dash of milk, lightly beaten). Bake for approx 20-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.

After it’s done, remove the thyme sprigs, grab the dried leaves off the stems and crumble over your galette. If you wish, you could also crumble some feta over the galette and serve with salad greens.

Print this recipe!

Fig Galette
Fig Galette

Soma September 16, 2010 at 01:24

mind blowing photographs!

Simon@theheartoffood September 4, 2010 at 14:39

I've said it before but it's utterly amazing what you can pull off with the gear you have. The gallette looks like it'd taste absolutely fantastic!

Seriously great work all round :)

mlle délicieuse September 4, 2010 at 00:53

It always spins me out when you make something savoury! Beautiful =)

emiglia September 3, 2010 at 16:59

Oh man, this looks amazing! Luckily, figs are in season in the States, so I can make these :)

Helen l grabyourfork September 2, 2010 at 16:44

Your food styling is out of this world these days :) love that first shot, and hurrah, bring on spring!

Sarah - For the Love of Food September 2, 2010 at 10:17

Just reading the title of this post made my tummy rumble and my mouth water – and oh the photo of those figs. I too love the sweet and salty combination. Thanks too for the no fail and easy pastry recipe – I'm going to give this a go.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 2, 2010 at 09:51

This looks amazing, it's so good to see fresh figs! And HOORAY for spring!!! So excited even though my body isn't exactly summer ready ;)

Forager September 2, 2010 at 08:02

Looks delicious!! Can't beat that flavour combo. Love the shot of those ripe figs – their skin is as blue as blueberries there

Mei Sze September 2, 2010 at 06:23

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I'm actually making a tomato and goats cheese tart tonight with whatever herbs I can find in my garden…Sadly…Melbourne still looks grey, wintry and it's been raining… :( BUT! the cherry blossoms both white and pink dotting the streets are an uplifting sign that spring is upon us…they were so beautiful…we just need more sun…hehe

Pam @ Cookingworld September 2, 2010 at 05:08

I love Fig and anything made with fig! I am going to have to make it soon! Thanks for clear and easy to understand recipe!

Jen September 2, 2010 at 04:26

These look heavenly! Your photos are gorgeous too :)

citrusandcandy September 1, 2010 at 17:07

LOL, you and your gorgonzola :)

amy September 1, 2010 at 15:48

i made blackberry galettes recently too and it was awesome tasting!!! maybeeeee i will try making your fig, prosciutto and thyme ones soon although i really really no like figs!:P

Jessica September 1, 2010 at 15:47

I don't care how many times I see it, it still amazes me to think about spring being somewhere in the world while I'm buried in snow! lol Yes, there is a bit of chill in the air, on occasion, however we're still in the 70's to low 80's here in the northern part of the states. I am looking forward to fall though, especially the holidays. Lots of great family fun time.

I love your beautiful pics, especially the figs. Very pretty!

Kenna September 1, 2010 at 15:11

Gorgeous photos. I love the light and the contrast with the grass is genius!

Betty@TheHungryGirl September 1, 2010 at 11:04

These look gorgeous! And yay for Spring, although I will miss wearing my overcoat, no more covering up :s

Jacq September 1, 2010 at 05:51

Yay Spring is finally here! I don't know why I've never made a galette before given how lazy I am – who needs tart tins when you can have one of these babies!

Lisa September 1, 2010 at 04:15

So, so lovely! I am so excited about warmer weather and picnics and summer fruits! I love the sound of figs with proscuitto and thyme. Beautiful photos, as always!

Cheesy Supermom September 1, 2010 at 03:01

pictures are beautiful! looks delicious! good enough for Autumn out here in Canada. :)

Yas September 1, 2010 at 02:55

my god, that's looking gorgeous!
I'm with ya, I love figs in savory dishes too. Hoping that the price for figs would come down a bit more toward the summer, along with mangos

@IronChefShellie September 1, 2010 at 02:49

So gorgeous!! Want to know what spring in melbourne smells like today? nothing.. it's rainy and cold… we must be on spring delay =(

jeroxie September 1, 2010 at 01:55

FIGS! I am sure they cost you a bomb. But such lovely tart…. YUMMo!

OohLookBel September 1, 2010 at 01:36

So perfectly lovely and spring-y!

Steph September 1, 2010 at 00:39

Hurrah for Spring! These tarts are such a perfect way to welcome in Spring :) <3 figs

billy@ATFT September 1, 2010 at 00:03

Delicious, and amazing photos too! Great recipe, I think I will make with gorgonzola instead of cream cheese!

Rhonda August 31, 2010 at 23:56

I am totally feeling your vibe!! Summer, spring… bring it on!!

Matthew Masterchef August 31, 2010 at 22:32

That looks like the shizbomb, wrapped up in pastry! Get in maaa belly

Fiona August 31, 2010 at 21:17

Hurrah for Spring!

dawn hutchins August 31, 2010 at 21:11

Isn't the mixture of fig and prosciutto so perfect together? I just love it. I never thought to prepare it this way though and it's just so pretty!

joudie's mood food August 31, 2010 at 20:59

These Galettes are amazing! You are so lucky to have your spring start now. We are just about to get winter… I dont think we even had a summer :( These galettes are something that i will be making come rain or shine! Just gorgeous!

Aniko August 31, 2010 at 20:29

Gnam-gnam ! Beautiful photos , the tart is fantastic!
I also posted a recipe with black figs …yesterday.

vincent August 31, 2010 at 18:30

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=sit… or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Miriam August 31, 2010 at 16:29

Absolutely gorgeous!

Asha@FSK August 31, 2010 at 16:13

Gorgeous tarts!!! And, let's do a trade.. I'll send some warmth (we have way too much excess here) and if you'd be so kind as to direct the cool this way, we'll all be happy! :D

chocolatesuze August 31, 2010 at 16:08

it looks like pac man! nom nom