Cream of Asparagus Soup

September 30, 2010

IMG_2194-edited

Oops, it seems like I’ve been on a soup bender lately. The last time I had one of these was sometime during my early 20s where a marathon of tequila slammers and dancing constituted a good night. And sad but true, I was a heavy smoker for 12 years before finally kicking it a couple of years ago. Oh how my body was battered and bruised! Soup was therefore my best friend, through hangovers and seedy Sundays.

Thankfully my party days are way long behind me but my appreciation, nay, my deep love of soup and of turning boring solid veges into something amazing, has not waned one bit. I love heading to the markets and picking up whatever produce I feel like and subsequently giving it the soup treatment. I love having my myriad of meats, oils, herbs, spices, wines, alcohol, creams at my disposal to give the soup flavour and body. It’s like theatre and I adore it.

IMG_2150-edited

I prefer my soups rich, smooth and creamy and a hand blender is an invaluable tool for it. Stand blenders are good but it never gives it the smooth texture that I’m looking for and I’m terrified of it when it starts exploding and spitting hot soup everywhere. The danger is worth it though, especially for this classic Cream of Asparagus Soup, which came about because of The Captain’s recent purchase of 8 bunches of asparagus (“it was only $2!”, he protests). Sure it’s a little, dare I say it, daggy? But to me, it’s utterly comforting and the basic recipe of it allows you to adjust the flavour to how you like it. You could serve it hot and cold or as an amuse bouche. Fancy it up by serving it in glasses and dress it with a dollop of double cream or creme fraiche, olive oil and sprigs of dill. It’s utterly delicious and totally worth the um, interesting (but harmless) side effects of asparagus. (If you don’t know what I mean… google it *giggle*).

IMG_2213-edited

Cream of Asparagus Soup

(Serves approx 4-6)

Butter / Olive Oil
2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
800g green asparagus (about 4-5 bunches), trimmed and chopped into 3cm lengths
125ml dry white wine
1 litre chicken stock (or vegetable)
200ml cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat a pot over medium heat and melt about 30g of butter or about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add garlic and onion and sweat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.

Add asparagus and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat and add the wine and reduce liquid by half.

Add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until veges are tender and liquid has reduced by a third.

Using a hand or stand blend, pulverise the soup until smooth. Pass it through a fine mesh sieve into another pot to remove any remaining stringy fibres.

Add the cream, and slowly bring to a gentle boil. Season to taste.

Serve with a bit of cream, sprigs of dill, a pinch of cracked black pepper and a few drops of good olive oil.

Print this recipe

Karly November 6, 2013 at 13:01

how many shot glasses does this recipe serve?

Citrus and Candy November 7, 2013 at 01:31

Hi Karly, I can’t give you an exact number of litres that this recipe makes but I’m going to take an educated guess and say it makes around 1 litre / 1.05 qt (after the soup has reduced a bit and has been blended up). A standard shot glass is about 30ml so that makes it around 33 shots? If you’re using the larger 50ml shot glasses then that’s about 20 shots. It definitely won’t hurt to make a little extra, just in case or you could sneak in a bit more stock and/or cream to make up the volume if you’re just a little short ;)

Hope this helps!

joudie's mood food October 2, 2010 at 10:08

I love making soups and always forget about one of my favourite vegetabels…. the Asparagus! So simple. You know when you kind of get stuck making something the same way becasue it tastes so good, well thats me with asparagus. I am going to have to make it into a soup now. Great combination of ingrediants!

Sarah - For the Love of Food October 1, 2010 at 15:00

Yum! Gorgeous colour and very elegant in the little glasses. Lovely photos as usual. I too love soup and couldn't get enough all through winter – I tend to leave them alone in the warmer weather though – perhaps I should have one last gasp while the asparagus is so cheap.

linda October 1, 2010 at 07:09

8 bunches for $2.00? Good Job Captain! I've never had asparagus soup before, I can't wait to give it a go.

Simon@theheartoffood October 1, 2010 at 06:51

As much as I love the taste of asparagus, I can't say I enjoy its, well, by product.

Don't think that that'd detract me from digging into that soup. Looks great!

forager October 1, 2010 at 05:51

Goodness, you would've had some seriously interesting side effects!

bake in paris October 1, 2010 at 04:54

Beautiful shot, as always! Love the olive oil drop on the surface and the garnish, so pretty!!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Phuoc'n Delicious October 1, 2010 at 00:27

In winter I try to make as many soups as I can but don't get around to it, but this looks fab!

Karen, you and your random info.. LOL Luckily this side effect doesn't happen to everyone :P

mlle délicieuse September 30, 2010 at 08:50

I love asparagus as well as a great bargain =p I wouldn't mind a spear of asparagus to stir one into one of those glasses, you know, bloody Mary style!

jeroxie September 30, 2010 at 06:12

oh yes… spring. I likey

Rhonda September 30, 2010 at 00:15

Karen this looks great! never had asparagus in soup before… loving the little droplets of oil and sprig of dill on top looks fab!

Steph September 29, 2010 at 23:17

You make soup look so pretty! Not daggy at all. But I still have trouble imagining you as a heavy smoker! It's seriously impressive how easy it was for you to quit.