Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

August 5, 2010

Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

First of all let me just say that I am not usually a giggling-type gal. Banshee? Oh yes, after a few. A squealer? Embarassingly so, especially when in company of adorable furry creatures. But do I do the teehees and the heehees? Erm… no. So how the heck did a spectacled culinary genius get me all-a-twitter? I’ll tell you how. When you are under the influence of ‘P’, legal in most countries and scientifically known as popping candy, then all bets are off. Thats right, my resolve crumbled into fits of giggles under the weight of effervescent candy, chocolate and a dude called Heston.

Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

This was made with the ring from a springform pan

Don’t let the Heston Blumenthal reference put you off making this. This is actually a really simple dessert that can be easily thrown together without the use of killer chemicals, nitro, mining machinery or ingredients that can only be sourced from the mountain pools of Tibet. All you’ll need are kick-ass chocolate and popping candy – mine were sourced from my local supermarket. Cottees Strawberry flavour. Oh yes.

IMG_9619-edited

You know there’s only ONE thing to do with leftover chocolate mousse right?

Obviously a dessert with a mound of devilish chocolate mousse, was always going to be a crowd pleaser but with something as simple as throwing some popping candy into the base, it just lifts the whole thing into a new kiddie dimension. Forget civility, you will be eating this with your mouth wide open for all to see because this poptastic soundtrack deserves its audience and full audio is the only way to go.

Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

Made with a food ring – smoother sides and less defined layers

And you can bet your ass that I popped off while making this. Which turned out to be my downfall, because under the popilicious haze, I actually spilt most of the candy on the floor. Danggit. But fear not, because whatever little amount of candy that I salvaged, was still enough to give us the titters. I can only imagine the ensuing frivolity if the full cache of popping candy went into the tiny base of the cake. And by the way, riveting information of the day, if you step on popping candy with your ugg boots, it will still pop as you walk. And believe you me, they were a bitch to get off. So you’ll just have to keep walking on them until they pop themselves out to death. Kind of like stars. Awesome.

IMG_9609-edited

Now lets talk about that glaze. Hestons calls for the sugar to be caramelised before being added to the cocoa mixture. Well, as I found out after multiple tries, this mixture just doesn’t get hot enough for the caramelised sugar to be emulsified and you’ll end up with bits of hard toffee that are as stubborn as The Captain with man-flu. Raise the temperature up to try and melt it, and you’ll just burn the chocolate. Bummer. So after a couple of futile attempts, I counted my losses and just strained the thing. The first time, it didn’t leave me with much glaze. The second time, I just mixed the sugar into it without caramelising but it turned out a little runny and didn’t set as well in the fridge. Adding more chocolate to it should fix that and firm the glaze right up. If not, you can bugger the whole thing and make this glacage instead to cover it. It still tastes fab and there’s no need for caramelised anything.

Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

So failed glaze aside, this was totally a titter-worthy, pop-freaking-tastic and utterly delicious way to ensure that I’ll never fit into my skinny jeans again. I wonder how many calories can be burned off through giggling?

Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

For the popping-candy base

85g whole hazelnuts
40g milk chocolate
2 tsp mixed spice
100g popping candy (I used Cottees Strawberry Popping Candy – usually found at Coles)

Notes on the portion size: The original recipe (which I found here) says that this makes one 12cm cake but you can definitely get two out of it. I did, however, had to double the glaze because I wanted it a thicker layer of it. You could stick to one portion but you’ll have to spread it thinner. You could also use this recipe to make one 20cm cake if you doubled the amount of ingredients for the base.

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas Mark 4) and roast the hazelnuts for about 10 minutes until lightly coloured. Blend to a paste in a food processor, then set aside.

Melt the milk chocolate in a bowl over low-simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir in the mixed spice and popping candy.

Fold in the hazelnut purée. Place your ring molds (or just use the ring of a springform tin) on a serving dish and gently press in the base mixture to a depth of about 1cm. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until hard.

- – -

For the chocolate mousse

350g dark chocolate
400ml double cream (I used thickened)
Pinch of salt

Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a metal bowl. Bring 150ml of the cream to the boil in a small saucepan and pour over the chopped chocolate and stir gently until all the chocolate has melted, watching carefully to ensure it doesn’t take on a granular texture.

Add the salt to taste. Once the chocolate has cooled to room temperature, lightly whip the remaining 250ml cream to soft peaks, but do not overwhip.

Fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour over the base in the ring mould and place in the fridge to set for 2 hours.

- – -

For the chocolate glaze

20g dark chocolate, chopped
120ml water
8 whole coffee beans (I just used a tablespoon of instant coffee granules but adjust to your preference)
Couple of pinches of salt
30g cocoa powder
70g unrefined golden caster sugar

To make the glaze, chop up the chocolate and set aside. Place the water, coffee beans and salt in a pan, whisk in the cocoa powder, then set over a medium heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, put the sugar in a small pan and melt over a medium heat. Unrefined sugar will caramelise quickly, so keep an eye on it; when it does, pour over the coffee and cocoa mix — stand back, as it will bubble and spit.

Beat in the chopped chocolate and, when melted, pass through a fine sieve. When cool, but still liquid, pour over the mousse to your preferred depth and return the cake to the fridge to set.

To serve: run a hot knife around the inside of the ring before removing the cake. What I did was, I quickly blowtorched the outside of the food ring and gently eased it off the cake. I then used a small offset palette knife (make sure it’s hot) to smooth the outside of the cake. When slicing it, make sure the blade of the knife is nice and hot.

Print this recipe!

Popping Candy Chocolate Cake

Suzy Colebeck September 14, 2012 at 17:45

I made this yesterday for my daughter’s 13th birthday – I had to order popping candy from amazon! She doesn’t like hazelnuts so I made the base with half amaretti biscuits and half bourbon biscuits which was gorgeous! My glaze didn’t set but tasted delicious – it was a gorgeous, gorgeous cake and your tips really helped. I would make it in a smaller and deeper tin next time but otherwise – amazing!

Rachael March 12, 2012 at 12:41

Mine is currently in the fridge and will be ready to glaze shortly! I used biscuits for my base instead, Look forward to tasting it in the morning! Thanks for this recipe, if all goes to plan I’m sure I’ll be making it again! =D

Jules October 10, 2011 at 21:01

Thanks for this! The cream layer is surprisingly very light, when I expected something dense and mousse-like. All the mixture fits perfectly in my 18×5 cake ring and the glaze came out quite sticky and shiny. With the glaze, since I didn’t have unrefined caster sugar I used normal caster sugar. I quickly caramelized it and poured it into the chocolate mixture while it’s still simmering. I think I got lucky and they mix evenly. Since there’s no indication on how dark the chocolate will be, I ended up using 70% dark chocolate but on hindsight probably should use 45-50%.

kat September 8, 2011 at 06:25

Hi Karen,

Was wanting to make this cake for a dinner party but one of my guests doesnt like nuts so was wondering if you have made this with a a different base such as crushed oat biscuits before???

Citrus and Candy September 8, 2011 at 10:11

Hi Kat, no I haven’t tried this without nuts but the base should def be easy enough to adapt. You should have no trouble replacing the nuts with crushed biscuits or you could even try something different altogether such as a cheesecake base made with choc biscuits. Hope this helps!

Mei Sze December 31, 2010 at 06:02

Hi Karen,

Woohooo! I found it at the Reject Shop! Had my own fireworks session last night eating this popping candy cake….great stuff!! Happy New Year to you! :)

citrusandcandy December 20, 2010 at 11:06

Hi Mei,

Try the section in Coles that stocks the ice cream cones, toppings etc. If not you can probably find other brands of popping candy in those boutique candy and confectionary stores. It probably won't be Cottees brand that I used but there's should be heaps of other types :)

Hope this helps!

Mei Sze December 14, 2010 at 06:44

Hi Karen,
I've had this dessert at the back of my mind for a few months now but I just couldn't locate the popping candy..where can I source them..I tried Coles but not sure which section…
Would love to have a go at this poptastic dessert…mmmmm….

@bellyrumbles August 14, 2010 at 02:15

What a decadent dessert with a lil surprise? I would be so tempted to serve this up and not tell my guests about the hidden lil poppers.

Poires au Chocolat August 13, 2010 at 08:20

I find Heston fascinating. I've heard good things about his use of popping candy – must give this a try!

Lucy August 10, 2010 at 17:41

I love this recipe it sounds like so much fun and looks totally divine. Who can resist chocolate mousse?!

Mei Sze August 10, 2010 at 11:14

OOOooo..yum…poptastic dessert..definitely book marking this one…..thank ye thank ye….

Spencer Samaroo August 10, 2010 at 05:23

I can't decide whether viewing your site is torture or ecstasy! Perhaps it is both. The yummy chocolate cakes look so amazing. I wouldn't know whether to eat them or frame them!

Gala August 8, 2010 at 09:44

Genius!

Carla August 6, 2010 at 16:54

Mmm, looks so fluffy, soft, and creamy. Can I haz bite, please??

CARLTON GROVE by Abby August 6, 2010 at 11:07

wow! i'm gonna try! thanks for posting :)

thang @ noodlies August 6, 2010 at 09:57

it looks and must taste wonderful…and rich!

Rhonda August 6, 2010 at 04:14

I am embarrased to admit but I dont think I've ever had popping candy before? Had sherbert but not popping candy… sounds fanfastic! will def give it a go! thanks for the recipe!

Phuoc'n Delicious August 6, 2010 at 01:24

Holy moly! This has AWESOMENESS written all over it! Well done Karen!

I love the appearance of pop rocks in different foods. I had a pop rock caesar salad in the states! It was freaking AWESOME!!

Elizabeth August 6, 2010 at 01:20

Wow this is an intriguing combination and I think I like it! It looks so delicious!

FFichiban August 5, 2010 at 15:20

Heston is so awesomes! OH baby I can see lots of good times with this mmm

mlle délicieuse August 5, 2010 at 11:55

Apparently laughing uses every muscle in your face, so I'm sure you will get a good workout (or at least a tighter face) whilst enjoying the delights of a popping candy-infused dessert =D

Zia Elle August 5, 2010 at 10:15

Soooo delicious!!!!!!!!!!

penny aka jeroxie August 5, 2010 at 09:52

*Faints* Love the popping candy base.

Sarah - For the Love of Food August 5, 2010 at 08:58

My god, this must take the cake (ha) for the most indulgent over the top cake I've seen. I'm bookmarking this one for my partners birthday as he is insane for really rich chocolate desserts. Oh, and your photos are gorgeous.

simon@theheartoffood August 5, 2010 at 07:46

Don't know about giggling but laughing sheds calories (albeit, not a lot). http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/laughter-and-wei

Wow, that read like a spam comment… :)

Chocolate, pop rocks and cake. Every since Adriano Zumbo, I've never looked at pop rocks the same again. This looks like it's be absolutely fun to eat, as well as being delicious.

ksayerphotography August 5, 2010 at 07:37

Mmm rich chocolate cake AND popping candy? Did someone say BEST DESSERT EVER?!

forager August 5, 2010 at 06:47

The chocolate looks so dense and rich!

*snort*: stubborn as the Captain with man-flu… does he read your blog? Do you get in trouble?

Lis August 5, 2010 at 05:44

LOL, you may indeed! :)

citrusandcandy August 5, 2010 at 05:28

LOL 'moussed my pants', can I pls use that in a post? Hahahaha!

citrusandcandy August 5, 2010 at 05:28

Hehe after you bought me a stash, I've been regularly restocking. It makes 'dvd night' so much more entertaining. :D

citrusandcandy August 5, 2010 at 05:27

The scary thing is that you are not the first person to say that to me, nor will you be the last…

Tara August 5, 2010 at 02:24

This sounds like a hilariously fun dessert!!

linda August 5, 2010 at 00:10

Heston is a super freak and so are you (in the kitchen). I just know that this is the type of cake that would get everyone going. What are you talking about, failed glaze, it's better than anything I could have done beautiful =D

OohLookBel August 5, 2010 at 00:08

I gave up on skinny jeans long ago, so I could definitely eat a couple of these gorgeous cakes.

erin August 4, 2010 at 23:58

This is brilliant! Brilliant!

Lis August 4, 2010 at 23:29

I think I just moussed my pants O_O YUMMMMMMM! That shiny glaze just looks ohhhh soooo goooood! *licks lips*

angie August 4, 2010 at 23:20

Oooooooooeeeeee!!! Sorry I read popping candy and got a little excited. =D Oh that sounds like my kind of dessert, but then what isn't my kind of dessert when I like everything that is sweet!

the ninja August 4, 2010 at 22:16

When I read your posts, I actually feel like I'm doing something dirty

Steph August 4, 2010 at 22:04

This is so freakin awesome. I love Heston. Glad to see you put that popping candy to great use!

Chris August 4, 2010 at 20:55

Oh that's awesome! Going to make this this weekend!

katie August 4, 2010 at 20:12

Wow this looks amazing!! Would defiently make a memorable dessert. Looks so rich and decedant