Spanish Donuts with Spiced Chocolate (Chocolate con Rosquillas)

May 7, 2010

IMG_7157

One thing occurred to me while I was writing this post… do you spell it doughnut or donut? And is it usually spelt different in Australia, USA and Europe? Can anybody satisfy my inane curiosity?

Anyway, whether it’s spelt doughnut or donut (my preferred lazy way!), it seems like I’m obsessed with these sugary morsels at the moment. And I’m not the onlyone (the latter is to blame for inducing the cravings!). I made these donut cakes recently but despite that, I’m still secretly picturing everything dusted with cinnamon sugar. You see, I love cinnamon. By far, it’s my favourite spice and I always find some way to incorporate it into all my baking exploits because nothing beats the smell of it. In fact, wait till you see the next recipe. It’s pure cinnamon love (shameless plug, I know, I know).

IMG_7098

I’ve mentioned on the blog before that Spanish food has a special place in my heart for their homely cuisine and fabulous desserts. I’m sure most of you are familiar with Spanish churros, those crunchy tubulars of deep-fried goodness that’s covered in cinnamon and sugar? Obviously not many people are lucky to have the equipment needed to make churros and sometimes, you really don’t feel like taking out the piping set so these are perfect. They yield the same crunch and just demand to be dipped in any chocolatey substance.

Seriously, how can you not love a country that eats donuts and chocolate for breakfast?!

IMG_7112

Spanish Donuts

(makes approx 30 pieces)

280g self raising flour
75g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
30g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
60ml milk
2 eggs

115g caster sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon in a shallow dish and set aside
Canola oil

Sift into a large bowl the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon and mix to combine.

Whisk in a separate bowl the milk, eggs and cooled melted butter. Add liquid ingredients to flour and whisk together to form a thick batter (it’ll be a little sticky).

Heat about 4 cm of oil in a pan to 180°C (it’s the right temperature when a piece of bread cooks to golden in 30 seconds).

Dust your hands with flour and form teaspoon-sized balls and drop into pan. Cook each side for about a minute until evenly golden. Don’t cook too much at one time or it’ll drop the temperature of the oil, which will make the donuts really heavy with grease.

Remove with a slotted spoon and toss in the cinnamon sugar until coated. You can keep the donuts warm in a low oven (about 100°C) until all of it has been cooked. Best eaten warm on the day.

Spiced Chocolate

250ml milk
200ml pouring cream (thin cream)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground all-spice
40ml brandy or liqueur such as Grand Marnier (optional)
250g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces

Combine milk, cream, spices and liqueur (if using) in a pan and bring to the simmer over low heat. Add chocolate and stir continuously over low heat until melted and combined. Keep warm while you cook the donuts.

Note: To change up the chocolate, use Grand Marnier and replace spices with large strips of rind from an orange (in which after you bring it to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly over low heat to infuse. Strain to remove rind and then add the chocolate as instructed). Alternatively use a different chocolate flavoured with orange, mint or spices.

Btw, if you’re wondering why my chocolate is so thick in the photos, that’s because I added a little cornflour because I felt like an ultra thick hot chocolate to eat with a spoon! You don’t have to follow my whimsical moods :P).

Print this recipe!

Donut recipe adapted from Dish magazine

IMG_7177

Maria March 20, 2013 at 22:38

Btw, I wrote a post about another typical sweet dessert in Spain during this period of time: Crema catalana (similar to creme bruleé).

Feel free to read it. Hope you’ll enjoy it!
Maria recently posted..I love father’s day in Catalonia because… I love crema catalana

Maria March 15, 2013 at 22:46

In Europe we call it ‘donuts’. And if you ever go to Spain, do not ask for “Spanish donuts” LOL! these ones in Spain are called ‘Buñuelos de cuaresma’. We love eating them during the Lent period before Easter. And it is typical from the east coast of Spain.
Good post! love it!
Maria recently posted..How to celebrate with your kids one of the most important festivals in Spain: Las Fallas de Valencia

Christine October 21, 2010 at 21:30

I found a much easier way that is just as tasty! take Pillsbury biscuits ( not the grands) the buttermilk, and cut out holes (donut holes) and fry them roll them in cinnamon sugar! they are amazing! serve with strawberrry or chocolate sauce!

citrusandcandy May 14, 2010 at 15:14

Hi David!

I was wondering if rosquilla was the right term (the recipe that I adapted from used it). But I saw a rosquilla recipe in a Spanish cookbook recently and the donut was a different shape (exactly like the picture you showed me). So as I understand it, both buñuelo and rosquilla means donut but the different terms refers to the shape?

Thanks for letting me know! I'm always fascinated in learning more about Spanish cuisine :)

Alvaro [doocomo.com] May 14, 2010 at 11:49

In fact buñuelo is just doughtnut translation to spanish. Rosquillas are called when made as a torus. There are several kinds of rosquillas, from near cookie dry dough to fluffy as a doughnut style, being more common the ones of the dry kind.

In Valencia is typical having pumpkin buñuelos (this ones like doughnuts) and hot chocolate as a breakfast.

In other parts of Spain they usually have chocolate with churros for breakfast.

Neverless your photos and recipes are great. Congrats for your blog.

david May 13, 2010 at 13:35

Hi there,

I came across your post in google reader, and I found it quite interesting. Anyway, the reason I write this comment is to let you know that I am spanish, and here in Spain we would never call that "rosquilla". That kind of sweet is called "buñuelo". Both "buñuelo" and "rosquilla" translate to donut.

Just to let you know, this is a rosquilla: http://www.castrillodedonjuan.netai.net/gastronom

This is a buñuelo: http://mm.nosotras.com/Espa%C3%B1ol/Mujeres/Recet

Regards :)

David

betty May 11, 2010 at 23:40

these look great im gonna bookmark these in my email :)

tangerine eats May 11, 2010 at 02:47

I think doughnut and donut are like bbq and barbecue. Damn you, I'm craving donuts again!

Blue Penguin May 10, 2010 at 08:15

They look absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful food and beautiful photos. Think they would also be great with the chocolate sauce as a filling inside the donut (and, for the truly gluttonous – ahem! – dipped into the sauce as well. I would love to try making them myself, but the deep-frying thing is a bit of a terror! They do seem to be becoming the latest thing to be gourmet-ed, though – these ones of Cannelle et Vanille were the first ones that got my attention:http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/2010/03/cher

john@heneedsfood May 9, 2010 at 05:36

Stunning and beautiful! That chocolate sauce is wicked

mlle délicieuse May 9, 2010 at 02:12

Mmmm, warm sugary cinnamon goodness! I'd happily pop these in my mouth even without the chocolate =D

valen May 8, 2010 at 15:41

Mmmmm these look so good! I've always wanted to make donuts, maybe I should try.

wizzythestick May 8, 2010 at 14:16

Who cares how it's spelled? Okay, alright since you asked. Here is the correct spelling D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S

FFichiban May 8, 2010 at 05:22

Gorgeous! Mmmm love donuts (lazy spelling for me too!) and loooovveee cinnamon yum!

Betty@TheHungryGirl May 8, 2010 at 00:20

These look amazing Karen! So cute! And I always thought that it was donut… but doughnut or donut, I'll take whichever! :D

Anne's Kitchen May 7, 2010 at 15:49

Wow, here we're talking! I just love the look of these.. Want on enow *sigh*

Fiona May 7, 2010 at 11:18

I'll take the doughnuts in isolation :)

Maninas May 7, 2010 at 09:01

The photos look fantastic!

Emma @CakeMistress May 7, 2010 at 03:30

Oooh, I reckon I'd just make a large pot of that thick chocolate sauce and eat it by the spoonful :)
PS. + 1 vote for Doughnut

@bellyrumbles May 7, 2010 at 03:26

I would not be able to stop at one, two, three, four……………

Mark @ Cafe Campana May 7, 2010 at 02:57

Mmmm chocolate for breakfast sounds great.

OohLookBel May 7, 2010 at 02:53

I say doughnut, you say donut – let's just have a couple and mull it over. I love the luscious chocolate, too.

Ellie May 7, 2010 at 02:51

Lisa, Steph and you are all in Doughnuts mood! I don't actually what is the correct spelling, I just want to eat them :)

Liz May 7, 2010 at 02:17

Beautiful lighting in these photos – really makes a simple subject pop. And yes, I fully support countries that eat doughnuts and chocolate for breakfast.

penny aka jeroxie May 7, 2010 at 01:46

gosh… lucky for me, I have a salted caramel macaron on hand to satisfy me for the time being.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef May 7, 2010 at 01:12

Oooooh yes, adding Grand Marnier to the chocolate sounds heavenly. It's things like this that make buying that ridiculously expensive bottle of Grand Marnier sitting on my fridge worthwhile. Thank you for justifying the expense :D

I just ate breakfast before reading this, so no delicious donutty breakfast for me today. Still… tomorrow is Saturday. Perfect for donut brekky!

Memoria May 7, 2010 at 00:31

Your photos are too lovely for words. The presentation, colors, and clarity are perfect. I've never heard of these rosquillas. I'm going to make these ASAP. The spiced chocolate sounds amazing as well; I bet they would be great accompaniments to churros as well.

P.S. Both spellings (donut/doughnut) are acceptable.

Steph May 6, 2010 at 22:04

LOL I was just saying that you were obsessed and then I come on here and see Suze's comment. Yes to more donuts/doughnuts! Especially with chocolate, yum. Apparently we spell it doughnut here, except for the chain donut king I guess?

lisaiscooking May 6, 2010 at 20:30

They look so great! I love doughnuts, and this would be one fabulous breakfast.

paula May 6, 2010 at 20:24

found this on tastespotting…. definitely need to make these :) Beautiful photography, by the way :)

Heavenly Housewife May 6, 2010 at 18:23

OMG, this looks like trouble for me. Very tasty trouble. Its a good thing I'm afraid of deep frying LOL

Megan Katauskas May 6, 2010 at 18:05

These look to-die-for!

chocolatesuze May 6, 2010 at 15:26

dude that looks freaking amazing. turn around. bright eyes.