Apple Crumble Ice cream

May 10, 2010

IMG_7250

Time to celebrate in the Candy household because folks,I finally got myself an ice cream machine! Forget the semifreddos for now, it’s all going to be perfectly creamy magic from here on out. So brace yourselves and board up your windows, because it’s gonna rain a whole lot of frozen desserts in this joint!

Ben and Jerry’s, kiss my chunky monkey!

Ok, so Candy Land isn’t going to pose any threat to the conglomerates of ice creamery (…..yet), but seriously, I’m so excited, my pants could explode.

IMG_7279

Formalities first – my new toy is currently dubbed
The Churn Master. Yep, it’s brilliantly original (that is, until a new sexier name can be concocted). And the most important thing was that it needed a big opening show.

Remember in my last post, I mentioned a forthcoming recipe that was going to be pure cinnamon love? Well, this is it! The first ice cream in the land of Citrus and Candy and it’s one that I’ve always wanted to make – Apple Crumble Ice Cream. Winter’s favourite dessert meets essential Summer treat; it’s a seasonal clash of delicious proportions.

IMG_7255

If this heady spice rocks your socks then this is your aphrodisiac – an ice cream of epic cinnamon magic entwined with ribbons of caramel apples and topped off with what is probably the best damn tasting crumble I’ve ever had. Seriously. I don’t think I can make crumble any other way again and I believe this must be re-released in awesome cookie form pronto.

And just to show how much I love this spice, I have a habit of drying used cinnamons sticks just so I can reuse it as tasty ice cream ‘spoons’ (in other words, as primitive hoes). Glam! Very glam!

IMG_7232

No doubt you’d probably want to demolish this quickly, but can I suggest that you leave this ice cream for a day or two (be strong, you can do it!) because that crunchy crumble topping will soften, resulting in a kind of cookies ‘n’ cream moment… but better. It was such a killer flavour to christen my new machine with and it’s the perfect launching pad in my bid to world (ice cream) domination.

IMG_7269

Apple Crumble Ice cream

(Makes about 1 litre – recipe adapted from Gourmet Traveller)

Ice Cream

500ml pouring cream
250ml milk
2.5 cinnamon quills (I added an extra 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon but adjust to your taste)
4 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
35g brown sugar

In a pot over medium flame, heat the cream, milk, cinnamon quills and ground cinnamon (if using) together to a low boil, while stirring constantly to prevent the milk from scorching on the bottom. Once bubbles start to form on the edges of the cream mixture, remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes for it to infuse.

Whisk the egg yolks with the sugars until pale and thickened. While continuously whisking, pour in the cream mixture in a slow, steady stream. Tip the whole mixture back into the pan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of the spoon thickly.

Strain into a container and cool completely, preferably overnight in the fridge.

Spiced Caramel Apple

45ml sweet wine (replace with apple juice if you prefer it non-alcoholic)
60ml water
120g caster sugar
60ml pouring cream
20g butter
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 large apples – peeled, cored and diced into 1cm cubes (granny smith, golden delicious or braeburn)

Place 30ml of the sweet wine, water and sugar in a heavy based pan over low heat and stir constantly until sugar has dissolved.

Increase heat to med-high and bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until a deep golden colour.

Immediately pour in the cream and butter (careful it might spit!) and stir together until combined. Stir in the spices.

Add apples, stir to coat in the caramel and cook over medium for 5 minutes until fruit is tender. Add the remaining 15ml of sweet wine, stir to combine and remove from heat to cool completely. The liquid will thicken upon cooling.

Crumble

80g self raising flour
70g brown sugar
70g hazelnut meal (aka ground hazelnuts)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
50g butter, cold and chopped

Preheat oven to 180°C. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl by hand until fully mixed. Add butter and using your fingertips, rub butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs (there should still be good sized clumps in it).

Lay it all out on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15-20 minutes. Check it halfway through to make sure the bottom isn’t browning too fast. You’ll might have to mix it around if you have a temperamental oven like I do to ensure even baking and browning.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Break up any large chunks.

To assemble ice cream

Strain the chilled cream mixture into your ice cream machine and churn according to your manufacturer’s instructions. When ready and thick, spoon the ice cream out into a container and add half to 2/3 of the caramel apple. Mix through the ice cream loosely to form ripples. Top off with some crumble and freeze overnight.

Print this recipe

IMG_7268

grace May 31, 2010 at 19:06

i'm not positive, but i'm pretty darn sure that i wouldn't be able to leave this alone for two days. simply put, i'm just not that strong. :)

Jessica May 20, 2010 at 21:52

Yum! Like apple pie a la mode…without the pie!

mylittleexpatkitchen May 12, 2010 at 14:49

Congrats on your new ice cream machine!
I'm so jealous, I want one too. I've been seeing all these wonderful recipes for ice creams I think it's time I got one. Your ice cream looks scrumptious.
Magda

Bao Ngo May 11, 2010 at 23:35

Congrats on the new Ice Cream maker. I should name my ice cream maker too!

The first ice cream post is great. Can't wait to read more.

Phuoc'n Delicious May 11, 2010 at 11:33

Good work Karen! I can't wait to get into it again and knock up some kick ass flavours. I have my baby waiting in the fridge for me.

I sent you an email via your contact form about a question you asked me on Twitter a while ago, so I hope it went through rather than getting lost in the interweb.

Laetitia May 11, 2010 at 09:05

I LOVE apple combined with cinnamon (such as pear + cinnamon)… You fill me with joy! I can't wait to try this recipe :-)

Betty@The HungryGirl May 11, 2010 at 07:38

YUM!! This looks soo freaking awesome. I love this. Ahhh congrats on your new toy :) Looking forward to the downpour of frozen desserts :D

kitchen tables May 11, 2010 at 07:32

This is lovely! I am now in love with the recipe! I want to try this one.

bake in paris May 11, 2010 at 06:30

This is just what I had in mind for my next dessert. Great presentation and beautiful photos… as always!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

penny aka jeroxie May 11, 2010 at 04:25

I am still using my old crappy ice cream maker but it works. I am definitely looking forward to more ice cream creations from you.

Neel May 11, 2010 at 04:00

I totally want to say the same thing. Absolutely mindblowing photos. So simple and so awesome texture in the icecream.

In the first photo, absolutely love the composition. Love the placement of cinnamon stick and its use.

Absolutely mouth-watering.

Thank you for sharing.
Neel

Kaitlin May 11, 2010 at 03:43

I love, love, love the way you write! So funny :)

These photos are so pretty and I think the recipe sounds amazing! I have the bowl of my ice cream churner in my freezer because I have a lot of recipes that I want to try this summer and I'm starting soon! I need to add this one to my list :D

Fouad May 11, 2010 at 01:18

looks fantastic! there's nothing like home made ice cream. i'm impressed that the recipe has no eggs… pretty cool.

Wait till you start trying to make sorbet. you'll obsess about getting the right texture. start researching guar gum and xanthan gum…

angie May 10, 2010 at 14:45

Congrats on the new addition! =D Oh if you love cinnamon you've gotta try crunchy cinnamon toast ice cream! Once you go home made nothing beats it hehe.

zurin May 10, 2010 at 11:29

ive seen so many ice cream posts today it must be a sign. I need B&R.

beautiful and YUMMMM

Poires au Chocolat May 10, 2010 at 10:46

On my, YUM. I really do need to get myself an ice cream maker….

Cinnamon is so gorgeous, especially when baking in the oven – oh the smell.

Mark @ Cafe Campana May 10, 2010 at 09:45

Yay for ice cream maker. I look forward to all your great creations. I like your apple crumble, much for appropriate for a hot summers day :)

Swee San May 10, 2010 at 09:03

Homemade ice cream is yum. Am going to make this the coming weekend.. soggy-cookie-dough-like-crumble.. ;)

meetak May 10, 2010 at 06:41

how simply gorgeous! love the wonderful mix of flavors and aromas in this.

AYnomit May 10, 2010 at 06:27

haha, i am welcoming your ice cream world domination with open arms if these photos pre-empt what's to come! look delicious! not sure if i can seriously hold off though! :P

tangerine eats May 10, 2010 at 05:19

Woo new banner :)
This looks awesome. I love the softened cookie in cookies n cream too. Looks so good it's cream-inal lol.

OohLookBel May 10, 2010 at 03:55

B&J should run for the hills, cos you are gonna be some competition! Great combination of flavours, I'm sure it tastes fabulous.

Reemski May 10, 2010 at 02:36

ooooohhhhh….WANT….that sounds delicious! And precisely why I won't purchase and ice cream maker for my home!

@IronChefShellie May 10, 2010 at 02:21

oh man, I would eat that all up then make you get The Churn Master fired up for another batch straight away.

chocolatesuze May 10, 2010 at 02:13

cinnamon. caramel. crumble. the three c's oh gawd how awesome. you are my sunbeam.

FFichiban May 10, 2010 at 02:12

Ooh babbyyy apple crumble ice creammm! I think Gelato Messina has some competition now :P sooo when do we get to try some of this awesomeness XD?

Anh May 10, 2010 at 02:06

Excellent dessert!! And great concept for apple crumble ice-cream! :)

linda May 10, 2010 at 00:39

ahh karen.. that sounds absolutely delicious!! I love love love apple crumble. I really like how you've re-interpreted it.

Forager May 10, 2010 at 00:13

Hilarious post – it deserves a M15+ rating! I get the feeling you're passionate about this Churn Master then..

Love the sound of that icecream – now what other wild flavours? Perhaps you should look to Iron Chef for inspiration.. five spice pork belly? Sea urchin? Gross and fascinating all at once..

Ellie May 9, 2010 at 23:14

Nice to see you put your new ice cream maker to good use! 26C on a May day today, great day for chilled dessert. Love love love your pictures. Haven't I already said that to you a million times? lol!!

Memoria May 9, 2010 at 21:45

Wow. FANTASTIC photos as usual!! This ice cream is very involved but looks totally worth it.

Steph May 9, 2010 at 21:19

YUUUUMMMM. Seriously what an awesome way to break in your ice cream machine. And yay you got to use your dish as well! ;)

Maria May 9, 2010 at 18:58

:D I love this Karen! Feel free to invite us for ice cream testing any time! ;-)

wizzythestick May 9, 2010 at 17:17

The texture of that crumble looks divine. I can taste it now against the smooth creamy ice-cream

Conor @ HoldtheBeef May 9, 2010 at 16:19

What a totally killer ice cream to christen the new beastie with!! Just make sure not to get any bits of exploding pant in there while it's churning, the motor might not be able to take it.

Saving used cinnamon sticks as ice cream hoes is totally genius too. Beautiful juxtaposition between super classy and ghetto. Love it.