It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times…

December 30, 2009

The year in pictures… well most of it!

Sound the trumpets people, because the noughties are officially over soon! Can you believe that it was just a mere 10 years ago that Prince was partying like it was 1999 (and so were we!) and we all thought the world was going to explode with Y2K (haha remember that?!). Flashforward a decade and I’m going to get all sentimental on your ass because I may have had one too many glasses of dessert wine.

There were many highlights but the foremost one was sticking to this blog! Though it started a little more than a year ago, it was only in 2009 that it truly started to grow into something that I enjoyed doing. Best of all was meeting the group of Sydney food bloggers that I’ve now come to know as friends and partners-in-crime on many gatherings, pig-outs and mental culinary adventures! So without further ado - and because reminiscing and compiling lists is the thing to do apart from making resolutions - here are my best of 2009:

Most Memorable Meal

35-Course Banquet at Perama

One of my favourite dishes of 2009!

It was tough to decide between two but it’d had to be the huge 35-course Greek feast at Perama. I can’t think of any better way to introduce myself to Greek cuisine, than to meet up with 14 other food bloggers and stars of the Twitter world and allowing chef David Tsirekas to feed us silly. And feed us he did! I wouldn’t have complained if that was my last meal but I felt like I literally died from gluttony.

Luckily I didn’t. So I went and did it again. And again. And again….

Honourable Mention

Chefs of Merivale Gala Dinner

The amazing first course of the gala dinner

Perhaps it was the fact that the dinner was preceded by an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of Merivale’s kitchens (and meeting one Peter Doyle) or the fact that I was lucky to enjoy this amazing 6-course degustation dinner courtesy of Merivale. Or maybe it was that first course of tuna by Dan Hong of Lotus. And that amazing dessert by Lauren Murdoch of Ash Street Cellar.

Craziest Sugar Binge

Macaron Day at Adriano Zumbo

There we were, a small group of us, sitting at a cafe with a large box of 50+ macarons. For someone who actually doesn’t eat a lot of sugar, it was quite a silly undertaking to inject this much sweetness into this battered body. But after nearly 1.5 hours, we got through a myriad of wacky and gorgeous flavours. I mean if Adriano Zumbo can do crazy. Then so can I.

Honourable Mention

1. Not so much a sugar binge technically… but it was close once we took one of these miracle pills that turned sour into sweet. The day was fun. The subsequent stomach pains from ingesting citric acid and vinegar certainly weren’t.

Foods that induced toe-curling orgasms

1. Scones from Enzo in Pokolbin, Hunter Valley: the best scones. Ever.

2. The duck from Tatler Cafe from Pokolbin Hunter Valley: I’m still dreaming of that sauce!

3. Brownies and Confiture de Lait – need I say more?

Memorable Baking Moments

1. Aria Chocolate Tart: If there ever was a dessert that broke me and had me babbling like a lustful harlot, this would have to be it.

2. Macarons: these are like little badges of honour for any amateur baker and never had us Daring Bakers poured so much blood, sweat and tears into a simple baking challenge. That was until…

3. …last month’s challenge of Gingerbread House! I’ve never made them before so naturally I wanted to go nuts at it. And I’m so glad I did!

I know I already said it last week when the jolly fat man rolled into town but again, big candy kisses to you all for everything. For reading the blog, trying the recipes, commenting, emailing, complementing, questioning and joining me on eating spectacles. Have a fabulous New Year and as always, be safe, eat well and drink responsibly…*

*… just don’t make it Brown Brothers Orange, Muscat and Flora!

Karen | Citrus and Candy January 8, 2010 at 02:50

Hi Simon – hehe ummm…. thanks? You meant Donna Karan aka fashion designer right? :)

Hi Jennifer J – thank you so much! I hope you have an awesome new year!

Hi Leona – my sentiments exactly :) Syd food bloggers rock! Here's to plenty more food action in 2010!

Hi Mrs Multitasker – Thanks! There's plenty to do in Melb but here's a short list in a nutshell:

* head to Acland St in St Kilda. It's street full of gorgeous patisseries and bakeries with desserts in the window. There's one called Monarch's that has the best Chocolate Kugelhopf *drool*

* I love Victoria St in Richmond for the Vietnamese community. Indulge in a hot bowl of Pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup).

* MoVida for awesome Spanish tapas.

* Shopping in Chapel St South Yarra

* Queen Victoria Markets for a smorgasbord of food and gourmet produce

* Degraves Street for the cafes and breakfasts and the 'soup kitchen'

I hope this helps! And I hope you have a fab time in Melbourne. :)

Mrs Multitasker January 5, 2010 at 14:47

Hi Karen! Gorgeous food shots… And I'm still agape at the amazing gingerbread house…

Do you have any absolute-must-do's in Melbourne? Will be heading there in a little bit… – clare

Leona January 4, 2010 at 23:51

so many memories with all of you this year. Its strange how it feels like ive known pretty much all of you for a long time and its hard to believe that I've only known you crazy eaters for less than a year..

The good thing about sydney food bloggers is that everyone is friendly, easy going and fun to be around.

Jennifer J January 4, 2010 at 21:39

This truly is a hunger-inducing 2009 recap. With all of these scrumptious photos in mind, I thank you for the interesting and tasty reads. Happy New Year!

Simon January 4, 2010 at 08:30

Nice round up for the year. Your opening photo montage reminds me an aweful lot like they're from a Donna Karen photo shoot. Take that however you will :)

Karen | Citrus and Candy January 2, 2010 at 15:01

Hi ladyironchef – I couldn't have said it better myself. Cheers!

Hi Su-yin @ Bread et Butter – and the same to you! xox

Hi Stephcookie – hehe my thoughts exactly when i was writing it! I miss that haloumi!

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse – thank you so much! LOL there has been much frustration this year hasn't it? Happy new year!

Hi Anonymous – “…you stupid monkey!”. LOL gotta love The Simpsons!

Hi billy@atablefortwo – Aww thanks Billy! I def can't wait for more food ventures together this year!

Hi Kate – you really are too kind. Happy New Year and I sincerely hope that this year will be amazing for you. xox

Hi Helen (grabyourfork) – thanks so much Helen! xx

Hi A cupcake or two – LOL there was no way I could leave that out. I've never had so much sugar in my life! Happy new year!

Hi Jacq – LOL most definitely!

Hi Y – aww shucks. Thank you!

Hi shaz – thanks so much! Happy new year!

Hi Ellie – thanks so much lovely! Here's to more sushi runs in 2010!

Hi Conor @ HoldtheBeef – thank you! Happy New Year and here's to more deliciousness!

Hi Sara (Belly Rumbles) – thank you kindly :D And hope you had a fab new year!

Hi Phuoc – ooh yes… that Aria Chocolate Tart shall forever be remembered fondly. Happy New Year to you too!

Phuoc January 1, 2010 at 13:25

What an excellent wrap up, love all the pictures of the baked good – especially the Aria chocolate tart! Mmmm… How good is it?

And that shot of the Adriano Zumbo macarons… Delish!

Heres to a great new year filled with plenty of yummy food!

Sara (Belly Rumbles) January 1, 2010 at 11:22

What a marvelous foodie year to share with us. Happy New Year Karen

Conor @ HoldtheBeef January 1, 2010 at 10:05

Happy New Year to you! So glad to have found your blog this year, and looking forward to another year of foodie lust :)

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) January 1, 2010 at 00:24

Wishing you a very happy new year and many more yummy posts to come :)

shaz December 31, 2009 at 11:23

What a great year! I particularly enjoyed your crazy Zumbo sugar binge, and salute your bravery. Wishing you a great start to 2010 and looking forward to more sweet treats in the new year :)

Y December 31, 2009 at 05:13

Happy New Year! Love your roundup! Strange to think your blog is only a little over a year old. I feel as though I have been following and enjoying it for quite some time now :)

Jacq December 31, 2009 at 05:12

Love that first photo of your baking in 2009! I'm going to have to join you guys on your sugar binge at Zumbo's if he does another macaron day next year =P Happy New Year!

A cupcake or two December 31, 2009 at 02:36

So glad the Zumbo Macaron day made it. That was quite a post. So much sugar. Happy New Year Karen. Looking forward to more post and finally meeting you sometime in 2010.

Helen (grabyourfork) December 31, 2009 at 02:21

Happy new year Karen! Such a year of deliciousness – may next year's be even tastier!

Kate December 31, 2009 at 01:40

Congratulations on a wonderful year Karen! Please keep doing what you are doing. I love reading your blog. Have a wonderful New Year- may it bring you everything you dream of. All my love Kate

billy@atablefortwo December 30, 2009 at 23:59

Have a lovely time at the north! It's nice to see you have achieved so much in one year! Wish next year will be even bigger on C&C! See you in 2010!

Anonymous December 30, 2009 at 23:50

haha… blurst of times… love it!!!

mademoiselle délicieuse December 30, 2009 at 23:22

Have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know your blog and reading all about the highs, lows and frustrations of your baking. Happy New Year, Karen!

Stephcookie December 30, 2009 at 22:07

Hehe I agree wholeheartedly with your choices! We will have to go back to Perama again soon, it's been too long now! Happy New Year, bring on 2010!

Su-yin @ Bread et Butter December 30, 2009 at 20:09

Love the round up. Here's to a great 2010! x

ladyironchef December 30, 2009 at 17:19

here's a toast to 2009, and many more good food in the coming new year! :)