Chocolate Lime Brulee Tart (and a happy century!)

June 2, 2009

First, a bit of blog business…

Sound the trumpet, it’s my 100th post!

Ok, technically it’s my 101st but who’s counting? I certainly didn’t and it almost passed by without so much a blip. Naughty, naughty me. It feels like eternity since my first post about seven months ago but when you look at the numbers, I’m still very much a baby in the blogging world. Nevertheless the journey to the 100th post has been nothing short of fun. Bar a few kilos that I’ve gained along the way but no less, it has been fabulous. A big thanks to my readers for sticking around and a huge cheers to all the bloggers I’ve met so far! Anyway….

As a small mark of my happy century, I give you my Chocolate Lime Brulee Tart. The chocolate being the biscuit base with the lime the zesty main star of the creamy filling. It was because of this tart that I fell in love with the unusual partnership of chocolate and lime. It was reconfirmed when I made Nigella’s cheesecake and culminated recently with a Lime Spiked White Chocolate Cake.

It’s one of my go-to desserts for the sugar cravings and always an old favourite if I had to make a dessert in a pinch. Recently I brought it to a food blogger lunch and thankfully it was well received (it even converted a few sceptics to the lime and chocolate tango). It has been weeks since calls for the recipe were made so without further ado…

Chocolate Lime Brulee Tart

250g plain chocolate biscuits (or one packet of Arnotts Ripple)
95g unsalted butter – room temperature and chopped
5 large eggs
200g caster sugar
200ml double cream
juice and finely grated zest of 3 limes (feel free to use one more if you really like it sour and tart!)
extra caster sugar

1. Process the chocolate biscuits and butter until it comes together and completely mixed.

Tip: If the mixture looks a little dry and crumbly, don’t be tempted to add more butter. It will be because the butter was too cold. Continue to process it and eventually the butter will warm up and the biscuit mix will be the right texture.

2. Press it into a loose bottom tart tin and up the sides (I used a 32cm rectangle tart pan). Any extra I used it to make two mini tarts.

3. Chill the biscuit base in the fridge until firm, about 30 minutes to an hour. If you’re in a rush, place it in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 150°C. Whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined. Add cream, lime juice and zest until combined. Don’t overbeat as you don’t want to aerate the eggs too much.

5. Pour into the chilled biscuit base and bake for about 20 minutes but check it after 15. The tart should be just set with a slight wobble in the middle. It’ll continue to set while it’s cooling down so don’t overbake it. In my medieval oven, it took just under 30 minutes but bear in mind that I also had a ramekin and a couple of mini tarts in with it.

6. Let the tart cool completely to room temperature. When cooled, sprinkle the caster sugar over the surface of the lime filling and blowtorch until it’s hard and crackly.

It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days although the biscuit base will start to get a bit soggy so best to scoff it all on the day (I won’t judge I promise!).

Tatiana Hirschler June 4, 2012 at 06:26

Oh wow! That looks amazing! Might I be so bold as to suggest something? Why don’t you try with lavender? I have bunches of it at home so recently I’ve made loads of different recipes revolving around this sweet fragrance. I had a creme brulée tart years ago in Annecy, France, and OMG that was something to scrunch my eyes about in utter glee

Can’t wait to try it out!

Helena @ Foodyphile June 13, 2011 at 14:15

I think I shall try this tonight! What a perfect combo. My hands are itching to bake theseee
Helena @ Foodyphile recently posted..Food photos for the week!

Citrus and Candy June 25, 2011 at 23:42

Oooh hope you enjoy it! It’s been ages since I made it myself :\

Karen | Citrus and Candy June 26, 2009 at 11:01

Sara @ Our Best Bites – wow garlic and bacon creme brulee. Do I dare? LOL

Stephcookie – thanks so much! I need a new bigger blowtorch myself! This toffee crackling was done with a grill *hides shame*

Kelly – Wow triple win! Thank you so much xx

Megan {Feasting on Art} – I know…I can't go back to regular biscuit crusts now!

Helen (grabyourfork) – you're very welcome :)

Arwen from Hoglet K – please do! Chocolate and citrus is a surprisingly beautiful combo :)

Ellie – Thanks lovely!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella – Omg I love that cheesecake too! I'm wondering how else I can incorporate lime and chocolate together?

Y – my sentiments exactly! Thx sweetie!

Howard – Aw but now you can enjoy it as much as you like and I'm sure it'll taste even better now that you made it yourself :)

FFichiban – Sure you can. You can have as many as you like if you make it yourself ;p

Newlyweds – Thank you so much :)

Betty – Umm I think I'll leave the party for the one year hehe. Thanks xx

Panda – I am too but it's so worth the effort :) Thanks Jenny!

Jo – Good luck! And enjoy your first brulee :) I'm sure it won't be the last!

Mindy – Oh wow so then a belated Happy 100th post to you too :)

Yas – Ooh hope you enjoy it again! And thanks :P

Cheap Sweets – Thanks so much!

Simon – aww you're too sweet! Of course it's always nicer when somebody else does it for you hehe!

Simon June 18, 2009 at 14:07

Oh I am soooo glad I went back far enough with posts I've yet to read to catch this!

Though I may have the recipe, it'll never be the same when it isn't made by you.

cheap sweets June 7, 2009 at 13:18

Look delicious! Fabulous recipe!

Yas June 4, 2009 at 21:41

Congrats on 100th post! :)
Yay for the recipe! It was soooooo goooooooooood! Bookmarked and i'll give it a try myself :)

Mindy June 4, 2009 at 09:52

Congratulations on your 100th post! I think we started blogging about the same time…

And this dessert looks delicious!

Jo June 3, 2009 at 14:49

Oh wow, I'm absolutely drooling at the recipe and the title itself. What a great combination of flavours! You've just reminded me that I need to try my hand at baking my first creme brulee.

panda June 3, 2009 at 13:11

i love tarts! this recipe looks great! but when it comes to making tarts, i'm the laziest person in the world…

congrats on your 100th post!

Betty @ The Hungry Girl June 3, 2009 at 06:53

Lovely creme brulee! Happy 100th post! You should have a big party to celebrate :)

newlyweds June 2, 2009 at 20:09

Beautiful Creme brulee, and happy 100th post!

FFichiban June 2, 2009 at 10:23

Mmmmmmmmmm can I get a whole tart (big one of course) to myselllfff pleassee XD? Thannkks!

Howard June 2, 2009 at 08:53

I’ve been waiting for this recipe, it was delicious when you made it!

Y June 2, 2009 at 08:32

Happy 100th post! (already? How time flies!) :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 2, 2009 at 07:43

Happy 100th post Karen! I totally love the lime and chocolate combo as I love Nigella’s cheesecake. Love the idea of making it a brulee tart!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) June 2, 2009 at 05:25

Congratulation on your 100th post. Love the chocolate biscuit base. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Arwen from Hoglet K June 2, 2009 at 00:19

The brulee finish makes it look really professional. I haven't had lime and chocolate together, but you've convinced me to try it.

Helen (grabyourfork) June 1, 2009 at 23:27

yum yum. thanks so much for the recipe. it was such a winner! congrats too on your 100th post. may there be many more!

Tres Jolie Studios June 1, 2009 at 23:11

Oh my goodness! A chocolate crust is the best idea I have heard in a long time!!

Kelly June 1, 2009 at 21:28

Two of my favorite flavors (chocolate &lime) combined with one of my favorite desserts (the brulee)! It doesn’t get any better than this! You are so creative! For similar heavenly combinations, check out Dove Chocolate Discoveries’ webpage.

Stephcookie June 1, 2009 at 21:01

*dies* it looks soooo good! Thanks for posting the recipe and congrats on your 100th post! Oh man, I need to get a blow torch.

Sara @ Our Best Bites June 1, 2009 at 19:01

I think that lime and chocolate sound amazing together. Those are probably my 2 favorite flavors in the whole world (okay 2 of the 4, but garlic and bacon wouldn’t make a very good creme brulee ;) and I love a good brulee so this is right up my alley!