Confiture de Lait Brownies

April 20, 2009

Easter = chocolate

Tis fact, no?

Alas, I don’t eat chocolate
au naturel anymore, so no eggs and chocolate bunnies for me this Easter! However when it comes to baked chocolate goods, all bets are off!

So, hello brownies! Oh heavenly, sweet snack of the gods. An idle baker’s dream because they can be easily whipped up with a lazy hand and not a care in the world. And let’s not forget the essential chewy and fudgy texture of brownies that never fails to please. And before the detractors speak, yes brownies have to be fudgy and chewy – that’s their ‘thing’ and we should adore them for what they are. Those in the cakey brownie camp (a travesty I tell ya!) should…well…just bake a cake!

Fudgy and chewy – the way a brownie should be!

Nevertheless, those little bars of chocolate gooeyness are perfection but even perfection can be improved upon. So I did a little matchmaking. Chocolate brownie? Meet Miss Confiture de Lait. I think you two will really hit it off. And I did promise you all a confiture dessert recipe or two!

Is ‘match made in heaven’ too cliché of a complement?

And if baking chocolate and confiture de lait together isn’t pleasure enough…

…go ahead…dip it in…you know you want to!

These two got naughty and sticky together about 5 seconds after this shot was taken (and so did my camera…nearly!)

Now this idea only came about because I had excess of confiture de lait and brownies are a permanent baking fixture in my house. But I’m sure this brownie and milk caramel combo is nothing new. Oh the joy of fudgey chocolate brownies with bits of chewy milk caramel? Slap me silly but why didn’t I discover this earlier?!

115gm butter, chopped into pieces
200gm good quality dark chocolate (at least 60% cocoa), chopped
¼ C of cocoa powder (unsweetened and preferably Dutch-processed)
3 large eggs, at room temperature
200gm brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
170gm plain flour
1 C (thereabouts) of confiture de lait (recipe
here)

Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 20cm square tin or slice pan with aluminium foil so it comes over the sides (I realise my tin pictured here is missing the foil but that’s due to lazy grocery shopping – but I wholeheartedly recommend this step to make life easier later). Grease the foil with non-stick spray or butter.

In a pan over low heat, melt the butter, then add the chocolate and stir over the low heat until it’s all melted and combined.

Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Stir in the sugar and vanilla and gently fold in the flour. Do not over mix.

Pour half the batter in to the baking pan, then lace the top of it with half the confiture. Grab a skewer and swirl gorgeous, psychedelic patterns, ever so slightly.

Pour the other half of the brownie batter and do the same with the rest of the confiture. Make do with the caramel psychedelic swirlage once again. Don’t over swirl otherwise the caramel will just mix into the chocolate (as mine kind of did).

Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the centres are just cooked. I recommend checking it at 35 minutes but in my oven it takes 45 minutes. Remove and cool before lifting the foiled brownie slab out of the tin.

jane May 1, 2012 at 18:25

Nice recipe. I love a simple brownie recipe which is easy for the kids :)
I also like the below brownie recipe.
Thanks for sharing,
Jane

Karen | Citrus and Candy April 29, 2009 at 18:46

Hi Simon – Actually the confiture hardens to a nice hard caramel candy chewiness. Perfect with the fudgey-ness of the brownie.

Hi Chris – lol I’ll gladly share if you come over here :)

Hi Paige – lol, maybe that’s a sign to try it at home yourself :)

Hi Stephcookie – Woohoo someone else in the fudgey camp!

Hi Howard – naughty but nice…just the way it should be!

Hi bakingblonde – Thanks so much :) Hope you enjoy them!

Hi Shez – thanks sweetie!

Hi Lorraine – anything with chocolate is a great idea lol :)

Hi FFichiban – sure…if you share half your brownies!

Hi Y – oops…*blushes* very careless indeed!

Y April 25, 2009 at 00:14

Yes, why DIDN’T you discover this earlier? Very careless of you!

Those brownies look very very fudgey, thanks to the confiture de lait!

FFichiban April 22, 2009 at 07:23

Mmmmmmmmmm browniiiesssssss ^^! I must make some mooorree! Can I steal some confiture de lait XD?

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella April 21, 2009 at 12:10

Love the psychadelic swirl on your batter and great idea combining the two!

shez April 20, 2009 at 23:35

looks remarkably decadent! love the double layered swirl thing. a fantastic idea :)

bakingblonde April 20, 2009 at 23:08

MMMM i love the twist on traditional brownies!! I need to try these!

Howard April 20, 2009 at 23:02

I can only imagine how good these taste with the dip, very naughty indeed.

Stephcookie April 20, 2009 at 22:22

Ohhh my, look at those swirls! They look scrumptious. I would eat them for breakfast, lunch & dinner-though that's probably not advised. A brownie should most definitely be fudge and chewy, no doubt about it!

Paige at The Spice House April 20, 2009 at 21:21

Oh dear God, why don’t I have these right now? Your photos made me drool. I’ve never seen Confiture de Lait made without condensed milk, and I’ve seldom gone from not knowing about something to craving it so quickly!

Chris April 20, 2009 at 21:03

Oh..my..god…now this is almost perfect thing to wake up to in the morning. What would make it the perfect thing is if I had a tray of them here…*hint* Pretty please?

Simon April 20, 2009 at 21:02

Oh yummo! Love chocolate brownies and love caramel. Both in dipper form – priceless :)

With the confiture in the brownie end up gooey? It kind of looks like it has the same consistency as the rest of the brownie.