Biscotti Two Ways

April 22, 2009

Biscott-eeeeeeee!

That’s my usual war cry every time I head out to the Farmers’ Markets. You see I love my biscotti – so much that in any one weekend, I’d happily lay down three-digits of cash for biscuit stash.

Obviously heading out to the markets and stocking up on biscotti goodness can’t be part of my everyday routine (this addiction can get mighty expensive). And as much I’d love her to, chocolatesuze doesn’t do 2am biscotti deliveries when a craving beckons. Sometimes, I *gasp* have to make it myself!

My favourite is always almond and pistachio for the nuts and dried apricot and sometimes date for the fruit. But you could also try walnut, hazelnut, macadamia or dried cranberry. Vanilla is also a staple flavour, but you could spice things up with ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, chocolate or even coffee. Any combination imaginable is at your mercy.

This night I threw in a Middle Eastern influence in one biscotti batch and paired pistachio and date together, added a hint of cardamom and substituted the vanilla extract for orange blossom water* (though rose water* would also work). I also love the colour combo of green and brown and the aroma of pistachios, the spice and the ambrosial orange blossom as it was baking was extremely intoxicating. With the other batch, I opted for a traditional favourite and used almond, dried apricot and vanilla extract.

Almond and Apricot Biscotti

This is the recipe for the Middle Eastern-style biscotti (with the substitutions included for almond and apricot biscotti) but obviously you have free rein here to change the recipe to your own liking.

*Orange Blossom or Rose Water is available from gourmet food shops, delicatessens or Middle Eastern grocers.

Cardamom-spiced Date and Pistachio Biscotti / Almond and Apricot Biscotti

1 C caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp orange blossom or rose water /
1 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of ground cardamom (for the Date and Pistachio biscotti)
100gm of pistachios /
almonds
90gm dried dates /
dried apricots (roughly chopped)
2 C plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 175°C.

2. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer (at least for 5 minutes) until slightly thick, creamy and pale yellow.

4. Add the orange blossom water or vanilla extract, ground spice (if using), nuts and dried fruit and give it a couple of light stirs to combine.

5. Working in small batches, pour a little of the flour mixture over the surface of the egg mixture and gently fold until just combined. Continue until all the flour is added. Do not over mix the batter.

6. Divide the dough into two batches, give them a brief knead to bring it together and shape them into loaves approximately 5cm x 25cm and place them apart on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.

7. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, rotating the tray after 20 minutes. Biscotti is ready when cracks appear on top of the biscotti. Don’t let the cracks get too large because that’d mean you’re over baking it.

8. Remove from the oven when done and let the biscotti cool completely.

9. When completely cooled, use a serrated knife to slice the biscotti as thickly or thinly as you like.

10. Place the slices of biscotti on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 8-13 minutes until crisp and lightly golden.

11. Cool biscotti on the wire rack. When completely cooled, store in an airtight container.

Biscotti off-cuts were promptly consumed moments after the photo was taken!

Janelle March 31, 2013 at 20:30

Yummmmm I just made the pistachio and date version and they are delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Sara May 1, 2012 at 08:15

I definitely adore the cardamom.. and this kind of use is so unconventional. I’ll try your recipe… thanks a lot.
Sara recently posted..POLLO ALL’ARANCIA CON DADOLATA BICOLORE

Sawsan April 22, 2011 at 04:04

I was looking for a date biscotti recipe and it lead me to your amazing blog!
Great pictures and wonderful recipes!
Sawsan recently posted..Scrambled eggs and turkey sandwiches

zmm February 3, 2010 at 08:30

Hi, are they easy to slice? Since I saw you just used a normal knife for slicing.
Mine are hard and crumbly (a different recipe).. very difficult to slice them and get uniform slices.

Karen | Citrus and Candy October 8, 2009 at 18:45

Hi Sandi – you're welcome! Unfortunately photo-journaling means that baking things take just a bit longer!

Ooh pumpkin – never tried that before!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe October 8, 2009 at 17:58

you did a great job photo journaling… it came in handy for my pumpkin biscotti.
thanks!

Karen | Citrus and Candy April 29, 2009 at 18:40

Hi chocolatesuze – I think with this recipe it’s slightly easier to get thin slices when it’s hard and cool. When it’s slightly warm still, it gets a bit crumbly. Maybe you should lend me your slicing machine thingy! LOL!

Hi shez – of course it’s all gone! Not convenient but def cheaper!

Hi Hayley – it’s easier to get thin slices when it’s completely cool. Just make sure you have a good, sharp serrated knife :)

Hi Lorraine – Ooh still yet to try that one!

Hi Chantal – thanks a lot :)

Hi FFichiban – No thinnnn!!! Maybe if we petition Suze together….lol

Hi Belle – Thanks sweetie :)

Hi Christy – Lol so true! So glad you dropped by…I’ve been a long time lurker on your blog :)

Hi Y – I understand lol. I have to remind myself that just because I made biscotti doesn’t mean I should finish it in an hour!

Y April 25, 2009 at 00:11

Great photos. I love biscotti .. so much so that it never lasts long in our house, and therefore appears as though I *never* make biscotti! .. if that makes sense? (yup, it’s the sugar talking).

Christy April 24, 2009 at 15:31

Oh, yes please. Oh wait, I forgot, I can’t just reach into the screen.

Just found your blog, and I have to say that I share your sentiments about biscotti, and other biscuits in general. I often find myself with a dilemma concerning these sweet things. Supermarket-bought ones are never as good, and the gourmet ones burnt a large hole in my pocket. So making them yourself seem like a good middle line in these lean times. Now I just have to get my arse off the computer seat.

OohLookBel April 24, 2009 at 09:08

Love the pics, esp. the uncut loaf of biscotti – never seen it like that before.

FFichiban April 23, 2009 at 09:07

Thick thick thiiiiccccckkkkk XD yuummm DIY biscotti seems too much hassle for me though haha so Suze better start delivering at 2am ^^!

Chantal April 23, 2009 at 05:53

those flavour combos are excellent!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella April 23, 2009 at 05:21

I love youe middle eastern influence on the biscotti although I have to admit I usually buy it. Simon Johnson Chocolate Cantucci is a favourite.

Hayley April 23, 2009 at 00:10

Your biscotti sound wonderful. It’s amazing at how thin you were able to slice them. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it out!

shez April 22, 2009 at 23:59

oh hooray for you making biscotti for yourself! not quite as convenient as eating it from the packet, but at least this way you can have as much as you want.. right? (have you finished it all already?)

chocolatesuze April 22, 2009 at 23:10

hello hello i have been strangely awake at 2am lately maybe it is becos i can hear your biscotti cravings call to me lol hey how come you let the biscotti loaf cool completely before cutting? you dont find it easier to cut while warm? and less breakage?